Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, new guy here... Just purchased a Black 850XP 2 weeks ago and am having a heck of a hard time finding a 2-up seat (toolbox...) that works with the lock & ride system. The dealer gave me a universal one that would work great if I had a normal rack, and I may just fabricate something to hold it on using brackets and the lock & ride racks mounting bolts... Unless anyone on here has any better options...

Nick

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
221 Posts
So you're looking to turn your XP into a 2-up and you need a different type of seat?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome!

Pinochle767 - Pretty much I am trying to do what anyone with a normal tube rack can do by adding a "tool box" with integrated handles and seat cushion. Of course they say no passengers, and I would never dream of riding with a passenger (wink) but it's been done for years, and I am a little frustrated at how difficult it is proving to be with this Lock & ride System.

Nick

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Have you tried the Moose products?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Haha I can understand your frustration! Sometimes the applications made for the Lock and Ride system don't even work properly.

Have you seen the back rest that Polaris sells? I believe it is adjustable and might work for what you're trying to do. As far as some handlebars I'm not sure how to help you there. You're right the Lock and Ride kinda hinders modifications.

If you're pretty good with your hands you could probably fabricate something of your own. Another fella on here does alot of modifications of his own and they come out real well.

·
Registered
369 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this post is over one year old, but I found it as a Google search result.

My thought would be to modifiy the Sportman XP Steel Rack Extenders to add some more rack where I would need it.

I was thinking of this before I was looking into a 2up seat just to have more options to strap gear down more securely.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Would something like this maybe work for you? We could add the lock and ride mounts to it.

This box has the most storage capacity on the market. It is adaptable with the following Bombardier Outlander Quest and Traxter two passenger models. Physical Dimensions: 42'' x 32'' x 18''

·
Registered
765 Posts

That's about the exact seat that the dealer gave me, just a different manufacturer... But as it says on the page, it's made to attach to tubular racks with U-Bolts. I think I am just going to use it and fabricate some L-Brackets to attach it.

Nick
Nick,

check out these pics. i built this myself. my wife and i ride together all the time with no problems. i used angle iron for the frame and then attached it to the rack with lock n ride plugs. i used a 3/4 inch pipe clamp that i hook to the rear bar on the atv and then braced it with square tubing. i can take the whole thing off in less than a minute. i would not recommend the kolpin box, because i don't like how it latches, but other wise it works well. i have a fuel pack i keep on the front that helps balance the weight. my wife and i have ridden several hard trails with absolutely no problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
thor,

i misunderstood too. hey, by the way i noticed your from IL. where do you guys ride? we have some pretty decent riding in the mark twain national forest and we ride a a lot in arkansas.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
We ride in Northern Wisconsin and into Michigan. Great system up there. You can go for days on the quad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts