Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 sportsman 850xp that was boring alot of oil towards the end. It inevitably sheerd the cam sprocket pin and bent valves. I was going to hone and replace the rings , then everything on the way back out but in the service manual it says not to hone cylander when replacing rings.... so now what?馃槼

Attachments

Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
Font Line Window Pattern Screenshot
to the forum
Ball Gas Font Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting

Administrator
The cylinders are plated with a composite material and you can hone them if you want to, but the composite material (silicon/boron/carbide and other metals) is so hard that a typical glaze breaker or rigid hone hone will not impact the coating. From the pictures it appears the composite coating is worn through at the top of the cylinders. I suggest if rebuilding, to sent the cylinders along with the new pistons to a cylinder plating service to have the cylinders renewed and sized correctly to the new pistons.

It is recommended when servicing a plated cylinder engine that the cylinders not be honed when installing new pistons and rings as it is simply a waste of time, however, just to clean the cylinder prior to installation of new pistons and rings, using a green scratchy pad (Scotch Brite) to remove dirt and carbon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts