Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, my first post here!

I have a 2001 Sportsman 90 that was given to me because it wouldnt run and the owner didnt want to mess with it. So the fun begins.

I bring it home and clean it up. Fuel was rotten, nasty rotten. Air filter box inlet elbow was loose in the box itself. Starter was out. Had a new battery though!

I bought a new starter for it and cleaned out the fuel tank and carb. Got it running pretty dang good. It ran for a short while then suddenly quit. I had intermittent starter issues. Then I noticed when it did crank I had lost spark. So after a few calls I learned that I could ground out the ignition box and bypass the safety switches and see if I got spark back. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Traced the problem to the stator after ohming it out and comparing it to their manual. So, I bought a new stator, new air filter box, and all new seals for the carburetor and a new inlet needle/seat. I cleaned the carb thouroughly, cleaned the fuel tank, put new seals in the fuel valve and new fuel lines and an inline fuel filter, and replaced the stator. Right now Im running it on pre-mix (I dont trust oil injection). As of now the thing starts with just a touch of the button. (also found the red kill switch has two plastic tabs that hold one part of the switch in place and one tab broke, part of my grounding problem and starter problem. Fixed that temporarily with a zip-tie lol) Anyways after all this it starts great, and runs great at mid to top end rpm. But down low on the throttle it has no power, just kinda bogs out.

Now, I dont know the static setting for the, Im guessing, low jet needle on the carb. Also, what groove should I set the slide needle at? With the needle all the way up (rich) or all the way down (Lean) or someplace in between?

Also if I just goose the throttle it will just leap with no hesitation, but if I slowly roll in the throttle, it bogs until about half throttle.

Has me a bit stumped as Im a small engine guy and this thing seems to react differently than the other 2 cycle engines I work on lol.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oh God, I hate that avatar, I get so tired of seeing it behind me LOL. GAH! :str:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I guess it's sorted out, thing runs great. I can roll the throttle and it does still have a bit of a dead spot but will eventually launch fine. Took it out to my parents place, they have 60 acres with about 2/3 of it wooded, with trails I've already cut through alot of it. My buddy has two 2001 Sportsman 330's as well. Got em all together and ran them all day long running trails in the woods and cutting new trails to add to the fun. We'll add more trails this fall, make them big enough to drive the John Deere with loader on them as well to make trail maintainence easier.

Now all I gotta do on that 90 is get the brakes back in order and it'll be a good little rider. No back brakes and only the left front works lol. :fing02:

·
Registered
309 Posts
everything sounds great you got it all figured out w/o our help, only one thing is wrong, get a red tractor(IH), jk im just partial, have fun and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
1 Posts
Boggs down when u throttle up

My sons Polaris Sportsman 90 would run when choked but would bog down when not choked. Read the threads and was certain it was the carb. Took carb off several times and cleaned with everything out there. Took completely apart, put it back on and still did the same thing. Finally bought a new carb, put it on and it runs like a charm. Lesson, if your machine runs OK partially choked, it is a carb issue and no matter how clean you think you got your old carb, you can't get it completely clean. Just get a new one!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Does it ever freeze down there in Texas ...had an old snowmobile with the sane prob new crabs fixed it .....figure they froze and expanded something in the carb

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just get a new one!

Thanks! I was going to try to rebuild my carb until I read this. I bought my replacement on eBay for $39 with S&H! I would have had more in time and a kit than that! Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts