Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
We have a sportsman 90 atv and I'm trying to change the bulbs or do something with the headlights to get more light. I know that there is not a high amp output coming from the engine. Any advise will be appreciated.
Thank you

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I hooked up some LED driving lights to our 2001 sportsman 90. The machine just doesn't produce enough power to run anything good. The lights are designed as a daytime running light. Stator makes just enough power to run engine and charge battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is it any better with the led ? can you post a pic ? Also the curent bulb is 15W not sure what is the model type for the socket.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
i was wonder if i can add this set without power problems ? they are 18w each

2X 18W 6inch LED Work Light Bar Flood Beam Off Road Driving Fog Lamp ATV SUV 4WD | eBay
I have the exact same LEDs, very tough, metal case, thick glass over LEDs, some of the better stuff coming out of china.

I don't know if your machine has 36 watts to spare but even if it can just run one of these, wow will you be impressed, plenty of light and if you mount it in a swivel manner you can get the most out of it. They also sell a more focused beam (driving lites), same look just 30 degrees of span vs. 60 on the wides. Luck!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
i was wonder if i can add this set without power problems ? they are 18w each

2X 18W 6inch LED Work Light Bar Flood Beam Off Road Driving Fog Lamp ATV SUV 4WD | eBay
I don't know what the wattage is on the ones I have . I would think you would be OK adding an additional 6 total watts. Not any different than having the brake light stuck on. Should be fine. I am actually gonna look into the ones you found to replace the ones we currently have on ours. Ours have broken lenses and half of the LEDs are not working. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i will try that set , not sure how i can tell if they are 30 or 60 angle. If 36extra wats will be too much i can put only one in the center where the fake light sticker is.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
i will try that set , not sure how i can tell if they are 30 or 60 angle. If 36extra wats will be too much i can put only one in the center where the fake light sticker is.
I misunderstood you. I thought you were replacing the lights you already had. I don't think you can add 18 or 36 additional watts. You could try and if nothing else set it up like you said.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
what about adding a 24 watt 12" bar on the front "rack" of the 90, and not use the headlights. less draw than the halogen bulbs and more light. shouldnt kill the battery or overwork the stator.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think that spot will be better than flood for driving. Plus it is still a mystery of finding the data for the stator max watt output.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
i think that spot will be better than flood for driving. Plus it is still a mystery of finding the data for the stator max watt output.
When you find the data for the stator output post it please. That is like finding the holy grail. I am pretty sure I read somewhere that the factory lights were at the threshold of the stator output. I installed a few different types and bulbs before I went with what I did. Trial and error was my measure of output.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
AS long as you dont exceed the factory bulb output, you wont tax the stator more than if you use the stock lights. here is the factory light number

Polaris P/N - 0453570

Looks like a 15w bulb from what i can find. so two 15w LED lights instead should be fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sure polaris did not went to the max on the size of the bulbs. Most of manufactures don't want to go over 70%. There has to be somebody on this forum that knows that.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Then you should be fine as long as you don't go over 51.42 watts total. That would be 100% if your 70% is correct. That leaves you an additional 22.42 watts over your stock running lights. I would look for a 20 watt light bar in that case. Just don't pay too much for it so you are not disappointed when you drain the battery running it. Maybe it will work. Maybe it won't?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Check with Rick's motorsport electrics If I remember right I think I read where they have a high output stator for the 90.If not they may be able to rewind yours for more output

·
Registered
615 Posts
I would just disconnect the stock lights and run the 15 or 18 watt LED light bars off hte factory switch. The LED output will be noticably brighter, probably to a point where trying to run the stock lights at the same time wont add enough light to even notice. It would be like lighting a candle in a room that the lights are already on. Sure you'll see the light from it but it isnt gong to make the room any brighter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i will see how it goes. A high\low beam switch would be cool idea. Still waiting for parts. i know that you can get around 1200 lums from led and maybe 200 from a stock bulb.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts