Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to get my son off the peg perego stuff and onto his 1st real atv.. He'll be 4 when he gets it.. Like most of you on this forum with kids, he's been heavily exposed to atv's and is very competant for his age.. The questions is.. Do I bother with a polaris 50 or just go to the 90?.. Or do I bother with polaris machines at all.. Are they reliable or does anyone recommend others.. Of course I'd rather he ride a polaris.. Just to don't want to get one if its gonna be a basket case.. Thoughts?..

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
at 4 get the 50. perfect size and will last him a few years. I do believe the Polaris bikes are Etons, the older 2 strokes are anyways. My nephew Charlie is 5 and loves the 2005 Predator 50 I got for him. And it will pull me and him around with ease. I'm 230lbs.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
You may be right about the older being eton built. I believe for the last few years they are Aeon machines with Polaris stickers.

I actually like Eton machines. More the I like the Aeon Polaris youth machines. The only catch is Eton has a much smaller dealer market. We were a Eton dealer though along with polaris, so parts wasn't much an issue.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I got my honey an Eton 150 for her first quad. It's just 2 wheel drive ,but it hauls my big azz with plenty of power. I think if the boy has experience why not go the bigger 90 to last him longer and is capable of being modded for more power later on. You can put a restricter on the throttle easily enough.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Dont waste the time or money on a 50. My son will be 5 next week and has been riding his yamaha raptor 50 for the past 1 1/2 years. After this season, he will be ready to move up. Most 90's are the same exact size as the 50's. You can choke a 90 down to run slower then a 50, so imo, get the 90. Also, eton makes most of the under 100cc atv's out there (at least for the japanese bikes). You can get an eton for a lot cheaper then a name brand. We did not pay anywhere near full price for my sons raptor, as they go for about 2200 I believe...that is ridiculous imo. I would not be brand loyal for a 90cc.....wherever I could get a good deal is where I would go

·
Registered
117 Posts
My nephew stated riding a 2005 Polaris Sportsman 90 at the age of 5 and it was a little big in size meaning he couldn't touch the floor board easily. he is small for his age, less than 4ft and only 40lbs or less, not sure. We made some blocks to help with that. He had no problem steering it or controlling it. The 90 has a throttle adjustment on the actual thumb throttle lever which will limit the speed. We turned it down obviously to prevent him from going to fast and as he started getting more confident we actually turned it down more. Now at the age of 8 and only 60lbs and still small for his age he handles this machine easily and sometimes with no fear which is concerning. He is ready for something bigger like a 120-150 but that won't happen until next year.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great info guys.. Sounds like reliability ins't an issue which is good.. But GTsum makes a good point.. The sportman's are pricey and if other brands are solid I'll explore those options.. Made the mistake of showing him the sportsman 90 and he knows its "like dads" so he talks about it constantly.. Anything but that may not do, ha!.. As for the size, its also a pure judgement call I suppose.. Don't want him to outgrow a 50cc to quick.. But there's also no point in getting a machine he can't handle.. If the 90's can be governed and dialed back that might be the way to go.. Tough call!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Also consider which one you would prefer flipping, and sitting on top of your kid. Obviously you dont want either one, but with kids its more likely to happen than not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts