Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Sportsman 90 that will not start using the electric starter. I was able to kick start it at one time, but now that doesn't work. I replaced the battery, but it will just barely turn the engine over. I have checked the battery and it is fully charged. I also noticed the horn won't blow either. The neutral/reverse lights come on and the brake light works. I've disconnected and reconnected most every electrical connector I can reach, but still no luck. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this problem? I'm thinking it's got to be a loose connection or possibly the regulator, but I don't know how to test the regulator.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2003 sportsman 90 my son rides.
I know it sounds weird, but try unhooking the taillight and leave it unplugged and start it. Mine kinda did the same thing and unplugging the taillight worked for me. I thought it was weird but a friend at work has the same model for his son too and it worked on his as well.
If it doesn't work maybe try replacing the stator...
These little 90s seem to be pretty temperamental from what I can tell.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I bought my son a new '08 Sportsman 90....worst $2600 ever spent!

Had all kinds of issues in the first few months, but never had to unplug the taillight. The only thing Polaris about it is the stickers on the Plastic....it has Taiwan written all over it including the engine.

Eventually he grew big enough to ride my old 500 and left this thing set in the woods for a few years...until a few months ago sold it for $300

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chaser. I tried unplugging the taillight, but that didn't resolve the issue. I went ahead and unplugged multiple light connections, horn, etc. but it still barely turns the engine (just like a dead battery but battery test is good). I have seen several posts saying to try going straight power to the starter to see if the starter will turn that way, but I haven't a clue how to do that. I know where the starter is located, but I'm not sure how to bypass everything else in between. Also, I can hear the starter relay switch click when I hit the starter switch, but maybe it's always done that and I haven't heard it because of the starter motor.

Anyway, yeah these things are temperamental. It's my son's but he's outgrown it so I was hoping to get it going and sell it to someone else so they can enjoy. It's actually been a pretty good 4 wheeler until recently. I had to change the carb which I found an after market for $24 that works like a charm (OEM was over $350!)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Does it have engine valves that are possibly out of adjustment ? Pull the spark plug out, put it back in the plug wire, hold spark plug against the engine block( to discharge electrical charge build up) and while doing that, see if the starter will turn it over. If it does, valve adjustment and/or compression release are the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I doubt it, but I'm curious to see if I'm getting any spark to the plug, so I'll give it a try and see what happens. It's just odd to me that the starter will barely turn over, the horn all of a sudden doesn't work, but all other lights work fine. Maybe 2 separate problems and just coincidentally happened at the same time. I also plan to pull the starter and see if anything is going on with it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sounds like a bum starter, I have had similer problems with other machines, take it to a dealer, have them check the starter with direct 12V, than you'll know.

·
Registered
944 Posts
You can check the starter out yourself. After it's off the bike, take jumper cables connected to a known good battery and touch them to the correct starter terminals. You'll quickly know if it's good or not. It may spark a tad but no worries.

But if it won't start via the kicker, there's some other issues.

Ebay has a lot of parts for those bikes.

·
Registered
171 Posts
is it hard to kick it over or easy to kick over and just wont fire up? I would try and jump the starter on the bike if possible, but if I wasnt sure what I was doing, I would just pay $75 bucks for 1 hr shop labour and than know exactly what it is. Sometimes thats just easier.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mine had a problem with the secondary clutch...that affected the starter & also the idle gear. Both of these components went bad twice. The starter itself never went bad.

·
Registered
171 Posts
told ya so, lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts