Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all i have a 2000 sportsman 90 that has an issue i cant figure out. when the bike is running and idling all is fine but as soon as you apply power it stars poping like its coming out of gear. replaced the chain, front sprocket, drive belt, checked rear sprocket bolts , removed gearbox cover and checked bearings and gears all good. is the problem with the clutch or the clutch cover??? not sure ant ideas would be greatly appreciated Charles D.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
I would inspect the rear axle bearings, sprocket splines , sprocket shaft splines and sprocket shaft bearing. No problem there, pull the gear set out and inspect each gear's teeth

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have looked at all of that. took the gearbox apart and inspected all the teeth on all the gears and looked at the bearings checked for shaft play all looked good checked the wheel hub splines (both sides) rear sprocket carrier splines. i will post a link to a short youtube video of the sound shortly. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
I just don't know without being there or having the machine available.

An off the cuff guess - the chain is too tight - when the chain is over tight and you get on it, it becomes even tighter - the chain should be adjusted for about 3/4" of play halfway between the sprockets when the axle, swing arm pivot and counter shaft are all in a straight line. If the chain is extremely tight it can cause the gears in the transmission to deflect to the point that the teeth of one gear jump the teeth of the mating gear. Try loosening the chain to the point of what you thing is too loose and try it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no i dont think its over tight just made and posted a video on you tube https://youtu.be/tcBqYtbiug8 check it out and let me know what you thing thanks.
I just don't know without being there or having the machine available.

An off the cuff guess - the chain is too tight - when the chain is over tight and you get on it, it becomes even tighter - the chain should be adjusted for about 3/4" of play halfway between the sprockets when the axle, swing arm pivot and counter shaft are all in a straight line. If the chain is extremely tight it can cause the gears in the transmission to deflect to the point that the teeth of one gear jump the teeth of the mating gear. Try loosening the chain to the point of what you thing is too loose and try it.
i will give that a try thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts