Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, A friend at work hooked me up with his sons 2001 sportsman 90 that he was having a problem getting started. got it for a hundred but I did not realize that the wiring had been burgered up.
1 ) Ignition switch gone
2 ) homemade start button
3 ) wires cut spliced together
The plan is to remove the engine to put on a VW go-kart. But I need to make sure I have a good engine first.
I replaced the stator and CDI.
Now for my problem: NO FIRE TO COIL
I'm pretty sure I can figure it out if I had a wiring diagram for a 01 sportsman 90, but all I have found are schematic's with different color wires. Any one here help me out?

·
Registered
648 Posts
What's your email address ? I can send you a service manual for a 2001 Sportsman 90 . It's a small file , less than 3mb .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
01 polaris manual

Thanks, I will need to rewire this hole thing. Should not be a problem with a wiring diagram. Actually all I need is a color coded diagram. Let me know what you need for the manual. Thanks again Mark
[email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello!
I just got a 2002 sportsman 90 and have a cdi question. The one it has one has a blue wire but it does not have a matching one in the harness. Does it needs the blue one? Also got a new cdi on Amazon and that one has less wires. Stock one have orange and one black in the dual plug, blk/red, red/wht, white/blk a blue one and a grey one. The amazon new one has orange and a black one in the dual plug, a red/white, a black/white and a blk/red. Will missing the gray and the blue one in the new cdi affect the quad? Also what is the jumper.in the back of the old one for?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,903 Posts
Seriously doubt you will get a response from someone who was last on here 7 years ago - things happen - one member who was active in Feb. 2020 died in Mar. from a severe case of the flu - he will not be responding to any more questions.

I happened to see the post and am sending you the manual for an 03 Sportsman 90 - it should cover the 01 as well

·
Registered
11,903 Posts
I just discovered I have the manual for the 01-02 90 also sent it too

·
Registered
648 Posts
Seriously doubt you will get a response from someone who was last on here 7 years ago - things happen - one member who was active in Feb. 2020 died in Mar. from a severe case of the flu - he will not be responding to any more questions.

I happened to see the post and am sending you the manual for an 03 Sportsman 90 - it should cover the 01 as well
Hey , I'm still here - lol I also sent him the manual he needs .

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would like to know where the blue wire goes to. I have a problem with the engine not reving up. it will start right up and idle all day but it won't rev. I replaced the stator, cdi. carb and the reeds. any I deas?

·
Registered
11,903 Posts
03 90 does not have a blue wire - it has a black with a blue stripe, a blue with a white stripe and a white with a blue stripe

The black/blue turns on the brake light so the solenoid will close when the starter button is pressed
The blue with a white stripe goes from the starter button to the solenoid to close the solenoid when the brake light is on
The white with a blue stripe goes from the CDI box to the primary coil to generate spark

It either has a problem with compression, crankcase compression, fuel/air ratio or spark timing

·
Registered
7 Posts
The picture is of the cdi that was on the atv when I got it. I put a new one like it on it. Everything is new. It will instantly start and idle perfect. When I replaced the starter I noticed there wasn't any way to change the timing. When you give it throttle dies but it will immediately start right back up.

·
Registered
11,903 Posts
Don't know about that - part number is 0451018 and it looks like this - I presume you got an Ebay or Amazon counterfeit? OEM part is $257

There is a new OEM on Ebay for $135 that does not have the extra blue wire HERE

I don't know what the special blue wire is for and your problem may not be the CDI unit, but if you have the correct parts it just eliminates a possibility.

I recently worked on a Sportsman 90 (made by AEON) that had a bad CDI - we knew the CDI was bat because the Brianiac that owned it thought if he hooked it up to 24 volts it would spin the engine faster and then maybe it would start - the whole back side of the CDI blew out of it like it had a firecracker in it. He had ordered a CDI from Ebay and the package had two units in it that looked the same except one was larger than the other one. The smaller one matched what was on the machine, so he installed it, turned it on, cranked the engine, no spark and a short time later the CDI unit let the smoke out of it - you know when the smoke gets out it's not going to work anymore. Rather than plug in the second larger unit and burn it out, he brought it to me. I checked the wiring diagram and determined he needed a DC CDI unit - I plugged in the larger of the two boxes and no spark, so I figured he burned out the correct one somehow. I purchased a replacement unit from AEON and when the package arrived, it had two units in it just like the ones the owner had gotten. I went through all the tests for the electrical system, plugged in the smaller unit (again, matched the size of the $300 OEM unit) - I started cranking the engine checking for spark, I heard a POP and the smoke got out of the new CDI unit - DAMN, WTF is wrong with this thing? I rechecked all the wiring and connections. In desperation, I decided to try the larger CDI unit as while there was no spark with it it did not burn out. I decided to eliminate everything that was not needed to generate spark - I removed the individual wires from the the plugs (the vehicle I was working on had a CDI with two multi-pin plugs - a 4 wire and a two wire) and only connected the minimum number of wires to get spark - viola, spark! Now what causes the loss of spark; I plugged in the neutral wire, spark - I plugged in the reverse limiter wire, spark - I plugged in the reverse light wire, no spark!

Here's a summary of what I discovered: the smaller CDI unit was an AC unit and the larger unit was DC - the vehicle required a DC CDI, but Aeon produced 90cc models with both AC and DC CDI systems depending on the request of the purchaser. Polaris had spec'ed DC CDI on this particular model. The units were not marked - plug an AC unit into DC and it let's the smoke out. Polaris spec'ed a CDI unit that was connected to the reverse indicator bulb to prohibit starting in reverse unless the brake light was on (probably a DOT or CSPC regulation) - the units sold under the Aeon brand would start in reverse whether the brake was on or not. I connected everything and took the reverse indicator bulb out of the socket and it started and ran fine. If the owner wanted to spend $300 for the OEM CDI unit, he would be able to put the bulb back in and it would then operate as designed.

If you have the expertise to determine the function of the blue wire, the unit may work fine or you might want to get the OEM module to eliminate that as a potential cause of the problem so you can move on to finding the source of the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Glad I came across this thread, similar situation, could I get the user manual as well? It’s an 01 Sportsman 90. I acquired after a couple guys didn’t finish the job repairing issues-now I have a mess; but what I think will be a good atv for my young daughter-if I can get it running.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Glad I came across this thread, similar situation, could I get the user manual as well? It’s an 01 Sportsman 90. I acquired after a couple guys didn’t finish the job repairing issues-now I have a mess; but what I think will be a good atv for my young daughter-if I can get it running.
PM me your email address and I'll send you the manual.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts