Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Sportsman 90 that I've repaired for my son to ride. So far I've only had to clean a very dirty carb , clean and lube a stuck brake cam, and a few other piddly things to get it running. I found the electric choke is fairly poor and I'm planning to buy a manual choke conversion kit like this one: Polaris Sportsman 90 Manual Choke Cable Conversion Kit Set 2001 2006 | eBay

So, my really odd problem is the quad won't turn off, at least not always. Sometimes turning the key to the off position will shut it down. Most of the time, you can turn the key wherever and it just keeps running. Turning the key off DOES kill power to the brake light.

You can pull the emergency kill switch all day long and it does nothing. I have tested the kill switch and I have continuity when the plunger is in place and no continuity when it is removed, so it seems as though the switch is good. I've also test the key switch which has 4 leads in the harness.

Key off = no continuity
Key On = continuity between 2 pairs (i forget which colors at the moment)

I'm really at a loss on this one. Would this be an issue with the CDI? Since both the key switch and emergency switch test good, this seems to be a problem somewhere downstream.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Kevin

·
Registered
295 Posts
Kinda sounds like the ground is bad just a guess

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh boy....which ground wire? I've looked at the manual and that 'Black Splice' looks like a cluster of wires all bound up in the harness.

Obviously if I pull the blue/white wire off the coil it dies immediately, but I'd really like the kid to have the ability to turn off the quad.

KJ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts