Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm no electrician, but how does the speedo on a sportsman work? Is it all digital?
If so, is there a way to switch and make the needle work as the tach and the speed be digital in the screen?
I care about my RPMs more than speed and love the look of a working tach that is readable vs the flickering numbers on the screen.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Could you not just install a aftermarket one on the pod and tap into the wires.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I want it to look OEM though.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Would have to go aftermarket.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Do you hit the rev limiter on your atv often?
Are you actually saying that you want your speedo to act as you tachometer? Would the numbers on the speedo actually represent the actual rpms that you are turning (if you were able to reverse them)? Like 50mph equals 5,000 rpms. Kinda confused on where your going with this.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
the only way i could see this looking factory, is possibly buying a spare speedoe, and cutting it out, installing an Autometer tach in the same hole and wiring it up to work correctly. issue would be you would then loose you fuel gauge and what not along with hours. of course you may be able to leave the speedo plugged in under the pod and pop it open to check the other stuff.

IDK just trying to help, guess im rambling lol

This is the idea im trying to convey.

77 Nova Cluster, guy took out the factory gauges and installed aftermarket stuff

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
There was a guy on another forum..may have been on a RZR one ..who did a analog tach mod...he used a small 2" tach and incorporated into the dash..he said it was a 6 pulse tach..but he had to do a modification to the wiring I think..I was searching for info on the Tiny Tach which hooks to spark plug when I seen it...but what I seen on the Tiny Tach was its not instant reading...its sorta a catch up reading...delays between real RPM's...but his mod looked good...it worked..but there does not seem like room in the Pod cover to put it...

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you actually saying that you want your speedo to act as you tachometer? Would the numbers on the speedo actually represent the actual rpms that you are turning (if you were able to reverse them)? Like 50mph equals 5,000 rpms. Kinda confused on where your going with this.
Thats exactly it.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
the only way i could see this looking factory, is possibly buying a spare speedoe, and cutting it out, installing an Autometer tach in the same hole and wiring it up to work correctly. issue would be you would then loose you fuel gauge and what not along with hours. of course you may be able to leave the speedo plugged in under the pod and pop it open to check the other stuff.

IDK just trying to help, guess im rambling lol

This is the idea im trying to convey.

77 Nova Cluster, guy took out the factory gauges and installed aftermarket stuff
That looks totally bad ass and has a factory look. Awesome job !!!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Thats exactly it.
Family Feud says "XXX" not gonna happen.
Dont blame you for trying

1 - 10 of 10 Posts