Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently looking to get a new Sportsman most likely the 500 HO. I have a 95 Sportsman 400 that is still going strong and I have had it since new. Only thing I have ever had to do to it was replace electrical system and new battery. Other than that NOTHING! Now I have done all the preventive maintenance but still for an old machine that has been worked it has been amazingly reliable. So of course that would make me want to just get a newer one for an upgrade. But as I do more and more research....I see mixed reviews as far as reliability goes. Are the newer machines as reliable as my old one? Wanted to just get the carb model because I figured I wouldnt have to worry about a fuel injection system going bad. So tell me how reliable is the Sportsman of today?

·
Registered
65 Posts
farther in law bought the 2012 400 ho. and all i can say is wow, rides good, steers like power sterring,and shifts alot easyier than my 850 xp. i would have to say its pretty reliable. weve put aroung 500 miles on them and he's had no problems.

·
Registered
65 Posts
are they any places up there like hatfield mccoy trails to ride on. trying to plan a trip me and dad to ride on, found one place called the blue hole in knoxville tn.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
3,692 miles on greenie & was in the shop for a bad cv joint not long after buying it due to operator error. The red wheeler in the shop for a bad radiator & front diff. bearings @ about 800 miles & put just over 1,000 miles on it since. Neither have been pulled back to the trailer but have pulled numerous wheelers to thier's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
are they any places up there like hatfield mccoy trails to ride on. trying to plan a trip me and dad to ride on, found one place called the blue hole in knoxville tn.
LOL, no, nothing like HM around here. You gotta be pretty close to HM I would think? We ride local trails mostly. Been to HM a couple times and going back next month. We have been to South Pedlar..about 25 miles of trails, not too bad, but they have maybe 200 jumps/whoops...it is fun at first, but gets old after 100 or so. Going to HM spoiled me

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If your buying a 500HO then you should have no worries.
Why is that because the motor is reliable? Thats the one thing I have read is that the motor is very reliable. Thanks for the info so far fellas keep it coming on your experiences. Thanks!

·
Registered
548 Posts
I bought two new 400 sportsman and the wife and I love them. They do anything we want them to do and then some. A GREAT BUY:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts