Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1999 polaris sportsman 500 that back fires through the carb when i give it gas it runs a little rough at idle and sounds like you are hitting the gas a little bit almost like just taping it then letting go, i just put a new spark plug boot and carb kit on it, these didn't seem to help at all can anyone else think of what it is, it was running fine one day then the next it started doing this. thnks for the help

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Backfiring thru carb is a lean condition that can be caused by many things. Anywhere from a simple boot air leak, carb not operating correctly (due to dirt, worn needle/seat, worn slide) to bad compression to bad cam.

This MY was prone to 'soft' cams that wear down prematurely - could have been done this all along and it finally got worn down enought the exhaust can't get out completely not letting in all the new fuel and making it lean. You can check the cam condition by removing the valve cover. Luck. :cowboy:

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would check the cam lobes as was posted above, there was a known issue in that time frame... what kinda miles are on it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 01 Polaris 500 ho backfires through carb it has new in take boot fuel pump and line camshaft is good still pops back please help thanks for any help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts