Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I wouldn't mind a bar that fit with the lines of the rig, but the big ones look ridiculous. Also, the big Rigid bars are almost unaffordable, so that helps me decide, too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Added the 26mm coolant temp adapter for the 1/8NPT sender. If I can find the Trail Tech kit that has that size, I'll edit this post. Eleventy other threads via search but none has the size of the hose, or the PN for Trail Tech on the Sportman.

Not sure what engineering genius put the voltage regulator and cabling right next to the radiator, but now it's protected a bit more.

Also covered up the Rigid wire run and the winch motor leads, since they cross the hot path, too.

And [email protected]$& me if I didn't run into a random no start issue while having it apart...which turned out to be a loose fuse from when I pulled them all to clean the connection.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That kit would have saved me a ton of down time, that's for sure. I liked the multifunction Trail Tech, only improvement would be a backlight. Also, it's freaking tight already in there, with the Morimoto driver and fan, 3UP relay, and the larger switch and wiring, I don't know how you crammed a ~2" gauge in there, too!

Edit: Since I've got you here, the two pushpin type body mounts just above the side panels have broken off, is that a known problem area?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
And for some reason, my 3UP headlight relay stopped working. Swapping the relay, no joy, now I need to get tracing wires, and finish wiring the Rigid/Worklights DPDT switch.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
3UP -also- related to fuses. Looks like one 20A has the ignition circuit on it, and the other has something to do with lighting. That's a weird one, since the lights still worked, just not all together.

At some point, the fuses were switched to 25A, so the new non dirt and silt encrusted 20A fuses fixed the gremlins.

Anyway, new air filter. Also cleaned the prefilter, which didn't get all that clean (perma-grey from AK silt), so no pics of it installed.

Reflective heat tape on the side panel. Going to continue the taping on the underside of seat, then install the seat heater cover that just came yesterday.

Electrical issues are no fun to track down! But you do learn a lot about how the rig works, and get opportunities to correct issues like wire pinching and clearance.

Hoping to get it back together tonight.

These are the body mounts that are cracked, just to the left of the wire at top and bottom frame rail. Is this a known issue?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Thanks, I appreciate it.

It's a Nashua foil tape with mastic for sealing HVAC ducting. Temp rating is a little lower than I was hoping for at 200°F, so I'm going to hit it with a heat gun and my temp gun to see how well it does higher than that. I might add some higher rated thermobarrier on top, or heatwrap the pipes, not sure yet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Started with a mess last night. Detritus from trying to figure out the no start/3UP failure, ended up rerouting wires and a relay out of the pod for more space.

Reflective heat tape on the seat side closest to the exhaust.

Awkward angles and spaces galore.

And some of it gets covered with the heated seat cover anyway.

On to wire testing and switch pole determination...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
A little creative wiring and some heat shrink terminals later, the switch is done.

Turns out I bought 3Amp fuses for the Rigid Duallys, and I kept popping them and getting concerned about wiring. Turns out, it's a -10- Amp. Which of course I don't have, so I had to pull a 15 from an old head unit.

Success!

Rigid on the left...

...work lights on the right.

Switch lights on either position when active, and off when centered. There is a nice waterproof rubber boot on the outside under the green switch face.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Heated seat cover on. Just needs the cigarette lighter adapter to get it going.

Time to repack the front box. Tow strap 20,000lb, shackles, and pulley. Factory toolkit plus extras. 11,000lb tree savers x 4. Jumper cables with Anderson 50A QDs, couple ratchet straps. Nitecore HC50 500 lumen headlamp, with 2x 16340 and 4 CR123 backups. Vehicle FAK, customized for AK backcountry injuries. Burn gels, Celox hemostatic agent packs, tourniquets, gauze, Sam Splint, iodine, and booboo items. Multimeter, electrical tape, multipack of crimp connectors, and alligator leads.

Kolpin 1.75gal fuel pack riding temporarily until I get either a 4gal Rotopax or 2 x 2gal. Camo mag pouch has a micro chemical fire extinguisher.

Up against the driveway snow bank.

3UP without Rigid Duallys. No slouch, thanks to the Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0s. 2,440 lumens each x 3 = 7320 lumens @ 69W.

3UP with Rigid Duallys. They throw some -serious- light, at 1534 lumens each. 3068 lumens @ 40W.

10,388 no-shit lumens. Boss.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Where did you find that heated seat? I want one!
Found a 2009 factory accessories parts catalog pdf online, and went through the whole thing. As soon as I saw it I started looking for one.

I don't know if they have one for your 2014, but the 2005-2008 Sportsman heated seat cover PN is 2876859. There were only two on eBay, now down to one after I bought this one.

I think I could make a pretty decent one from four factory heated grip pads under a neoprene seat cover, or adhering them to the factory foam and recovering the seat would have been my next attempt if I didn't find this.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Alright yea probanly doesnt fit mine. I saw Kolpin had a universal heated seat cover but looks like they quit making it dammit!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Shouldn't be hard to make one. Dorman makes an automotive seat heater kit that works great in my TJ.

Short test rides seem to be checking out OK, but with the exhaust shield hitting 300°F, I may header wrap the shield. Want to avoid making a heat sink down there.

Would like a quieter single exhaust if such a thing exists, any recommendations?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
9,405 Posts
Tusk/RMatv has a seat heater. You'd just need a cover.
You could put a OEM single exhaust on it but you may be after more flow than that?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
So the 3.5gal Rotopax is too tall for the front and ends up blocking the pod light, so I'm going to fill it with diesel and use it in my Minimax.

For the Polaris, I'm considering the lower profile 4 gallon, but will probably go for 2 x 2 gallon for easier handling and refilling.

This exhaust is interesting. Retains stock sound levels but has a rear exit anf may flow a lil better???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KIMPEX-Bolt-on-Muffler-OEM-1261079-029/143004646111?fits=Model:Sportsman+800&hash=item214bbdbadf:g:f0kAAOSwC8Zb4tnq
Kimpex makes decent sled stuff, I might consider this one.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts