Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to change my coolant in my 01 sportsman 400. What coolant do I need to put in it? Can I just use regular green Prestone?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
50/50 or 100 coolant?

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
In this case, me personally would either use premix, or premix with bottled water if you already have a jug of pure in your garage.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason I ask is because what was in there looked like it was 100 percent coolant, no water

·
Registered
361 Posts
The proper mix is 60% coolant 40% purified water.
Be sure its aluminum safe too!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
And I also throw in some water wetter like the Redline stuff.

Mark

·
Premium Member
11,445 Posts
basically run what has already been said. i run 50/50 prestone/distilled h20 and 16oz redline water wetter.

·
Premium Member
11,445 Posts
Why bother with water wetter?
i did a little research and guys that 1/4 mile raced said they noticed a difference when using it so i tried it out. personally i cant tell cause i dont have a temp guage. i started using it because my fan was running a lot. i was new to the quading game and didnt realize my radiator was caked up with mud. so my reasoning for the continued use of it is more for that little bit of added security when out on longer nastier rides when the bike is really being worked.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Always use distilled water if mixing. At 50/50 or 60/40. Filtered water may still contain minerals which is bad for your cooling system. Pure water is actually a great coolant but you need the antifreeze to increase the boiling temp, decrease the freezing temp and to provide corrosion resistance and some lubrication for the water pump. The premixed green is best, dexcool or red sucks. Pentosin used in audi's is great coolant as well as engine ice.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Always use distilled water if mixing. At 50/50 or 60/40. Filtered water may still contain minerals which is bad for your cooling system. Pure water is actually a great coolant but you need the antifreeze to increase the boiling temp, decrease the freezing temp and to provide corrosion resistance and some lubrication for the water pump. The premixed green is best, dexcool or red sucks. Pentosin used in audi's is great coolant as well as engine ice.
Dexicool does not suck, they switched from Propylene glycol to Ethylene a few years back. Wont run anything else. When air gets into a system that uses propylene glycol, it turns to a gel, just like sludge.

Red coolant has its purpose, used in heavy equipment, running red diesel coolant in our tractor.

BTW, coolant is clear, dye is added to give colour.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Dexicool does not suck, they switched from Propylene glycol to Ethylene a few years back. Wont run anything else. When air gets into a system that uses propylene glycol, it turns to a gel, just like sludge.

Red coolant has its purpose, used in heavy equipment, running red diesel coolant in our tractor.

BTW, coolant is clear, dye is added to give colour.
It would have been nice if Dexcool would have put out a notice that they switched forumulation because their previous product turned to gel. Every auto mechanic in the world that I know has seen this crap turn to gel and plug up the coolant system and that is why I moved away from Dexcool. It's pretty amazing when you drain out the red stuff and it looks like rusty water and the green stuff looks like the day you put it in the system and is still slipperly. Have had way too many GM mechanics tell me to switch to the green stuff but will reseach further based on your update.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I use the regular Green AL friendly stuff mixed 50:50 with distilled water in most of my rigs.
My GMC 6.5L came with the original Orange deathcool it's been flushed and refilled with the reformulated Dexcool. No benefit to using it in any other rigs. Jury is out on it in my GMC.
I use Pentosin G12 in my TDI.
The Subaru 2.5L engines uses special stuff to keep the headgaskets in one piece.

Water wetter has a reputation for causing leaks.

From orbit via Android.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts