Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2003 Sportsman 500 HO that we just put a new transmission in, that were now noticing will creep forward or backwards when in gear and idling.

If we turn the idle way down it won't do it, but then it stalls all the time. If we turn the idle up, it also grinds the gears when trying to put in gear.

It sounds like the drive belt is engaging at to low an rpm, how can we adjust that?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Is it all aligned right? I'm no expert and fairly new to cvt but have read creeping is mostly(not always) due to bad belt or misalignment like broken motor or trans mount or clutches not shimmed right I think

2013 850ho

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The belt definitely spins the entire time the 4 wheeler is running. The clutch does open up, but the belt doesn't stay in the dead center of the opening, it slides a bit towards the engine and rubs on that side.

We're loosening the transmission and trying to shift it slightly so the belt will stay centered?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should the belt move at all when idling?

Looks like a washer behind the pulley on the transmission is going to be ther next thing we try, looks like that needs to space out slightly

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nevermind, just got my answer. One 7/8" hole washer diameter ground down to size and its perfect. Set the idle where it should be and the trans isn't spinning at all.

Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2002 sportsman 500. I'm fairly mechanically inclined but haven't done any work on an automatic clutch system so I'm not really sure what's what. Is there a diagram anywhere that identifies the different parts

Edit: found diagram. Makes a lot of sense now. I'll give that a shot tomorrow thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Your belt shouldn't be spinning at idle. If it is, that means your primary clutch is too tight. There should be a small gap between the side of the drive sheaves and your belt. Just lose enough so the belt doesn't spin. If not, you need to check your primary clutch. Just to check things, while the engine is not running, pull out and push in on the outer sheave and see if it moves. If it does, need a new spring. If it doesn't you need to repair your clutch. The only way to increase or decrease the gap between your drive sheaves and the belt is to "completely" tear down your clutch and add or remove shims. You need special tools to do that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts