Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
09 Sportsman 550 XP EFI/EPS

I had to disconnect the winch to install a plow bracket. When I reinstalled I didn't tighten nuts all the way. Winch worked fine, but when under load it grenaded the positive termal on the battery (melted it right off).

I bought a new battery, cleaned all connections, reassembled (tight) and now when I hit the Out nothing happen at all. When I hit the In, it kills the engine.

Not sure if I also grenaded the winch In/Out Switch? Ruined the Winch? Or maybe the box/switch that the batter connects to and runs power to the winch?

The atv starts and runs fine. The winch does nothing when not running, you can simply here something click (both in and out).

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
737 Posts
I would check to see if the terminals of the winch are touching the frame or the new plow bracket.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Sounds like you got a direct short perhaps. Our winch is not fused either and that concerns me because the same thing could happen because winch wiring is heavy.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Sounds like your winch contactor has gone bad when you melted the battery post. Change out the contactor...and you should be back in business.

Good luck with it! Please report back your fix...

biz
:veryhappy:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback all.

I cleaned all the connections, greased them up with dialectric grease, and made sure all connections were tight. Was able to get winch to partially work then the winch started smoking on one of the terminals. Turns out the terminal must have been bad, the now fried terminal was loose coming out of the winch. Since I don't know what the real cause of the winch shorting out was/is, I ordered a new winch kit with all the connections and winch contractor to play it safe.

Wich I knew for sure which was the culprit, I have my money on the termal being back from the start which ended up burning up the battery terminal. Don't know, but only way to safely fix now is to order all the components/kit at this point.

Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts