Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm not sure??? Logical I guess...But...they only could go 35-40mph tops...

I would also like to find the specs on the original polaris diesel's....HP @ RPM...Torque @ RPM???

·
Registered
165 Posts
You say you got that out of a reefer unit?

You can play with the clutch springs to get top end and so on .

I aint saying nothing ,but a 3200rpm Im doing about 30mph on my 700in high range.

Saying you do get the clutch..you could probably expect that.

I if you pulling this machine will come along like a dozer. just set the throttle

Only other thing I would be concern about at this point is the amount of torque that engine produces , could be a problem..tearing up belts when working , twisting shafts or some thing

The battery will have to be upgraded for starting .
You will need a ,4 core ,5core,6 if you can get it ,radiator, diesel burns hotter than gasoline ..the cooling system will be crucial . its a small space ,but more is better..
Oil cooler will help also.

Engine mounts,, they will need to be able to take the strain.

Air filter and air box.. diesels are not heavy breathers , but do need adequate air..

You may have to change the alternator pulley..refers are set and forget. constant rpm...Your bike wont be doing that.. so for idleing purpose's , winching at low rpm..you may need a smaller diameter pulley to keep up with you bottom end electrical needs.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think the extra torque won't cause a problem unless you enter it in truck pulling competition, hehe. It will be a nice farm/work machine. Most of the trails that I ride on, 10-20 mph is plenty fast. You can probably mount a bigger battery just in front of the tail light, like the AC diesel model. I was thinking of modifying my AC 500 to use the diesel battery set up. I look forward to reading about your build!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
You say you got that out of a reefer unit?......Yup, '91 carrier transicold...

You can play with the clutch springs to get top end and so on .

I aint saying nothing ,but a 3200rpm Im doing about 30mph on my 700in high range.

Saying you do get the clutch..you could probably expect that.

I if you pulling this machine will come along like a dozer. just set the throttle.......Not sure what you're talking about...:question:

Only other thing I would be concern about at this point is the amount of torque that engine produces , could be a problem..tearing up belts when working , twisting shafts or some thing
.......Custom shafts if I spin any....AM axle's if the stockers don't have the snuff.....

The battery will have to be upgraded for starting .
You will need a ,4 core ,5core,6 if you can get it ,radiator, diesel burns hotter than gasoline ..the cooling system will be crucial . its a small space ,but more is better.....
Oil cooler will help also.
.........Still at the drawing board on these...I still have to find the rad specs from kubota's tractor that had this motor....

Engine mounts,, they will need to be able to take the strain

.....Fabrication!!!

Air filter and air box.. diesels are not heavy breathers , but do need adequate air

.....This will be a mod on the stocker...Might or might not do a turbo...If not, P&P the intake...Maybe the head???

You may have to change the alternator pulley..refers are set and forget. constant rpm...Your bike wont be doing that.. so for idleing purpose's , winching at low rpm..you may need a smaller diameter pulley to keep up with you bottom end electrical needs.
.......This motor didn't come with an alt'....Had one belted to the compressor...I will be replacing the "Dummy" pulley with an alternator from a bobcat.....

Ben

·
Registered
627 Posts
This will be one helluva project I can't wait to follow. Maybe you could closely follow the ratio's of the diesel ranger? Perhaps that would be a good reference and starting point of where you need to be at for high low and reverse. Who knows maybe even with enough fab work you could get a diesel ranger tranny in there, but the only downfall is parts availability for those is pretty scarce I think.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Sorry guys...This will not work!!!!!!!! I totally forgot about the front prop shaft...By the time I lift the engine to fit above that....The valve cover will be several inches above the top of the frame.....Also, The water pump pulley will stick out past the foot brake lever!....Way too far.

Plan B for the kubota....Find a ranger, JD gator 4x4-6x4, Argo 6x6???....Anything that the engine turns Counterclockwise when looking at the clutch.....

Maybe even a kawi mule...Though...I don't know if their drivetrain will work.....Anyone have anything like these For Sale???

Soooo...This will now be just a plain old restoration...Building an HO 500 for her now:cowboy:

Ben

21 - 27 of 27 Posts