Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2005 500 H.O. and have an issue with the electrical. It starts and runs fine but if I turn on the lights it kills the engine. The problem is intermittent. If I start it up with the lights on, it will also run fine but will intermittently die if the switch is rotated from low to high or vice versa. I removed the switch from my 2002 500 H.O. and tried it on the '05 with the same results. Any help; to include a wiring schematic would be greatly appreciated. BTW if it makes a difference, it's the carbureted 500. Thanks,

Don

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Short??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Having the same problem with a 2004 Sportsman 500,has had the headlight mod done to it. Is there a way to change it back to original?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Willie, I should've posted my resolution on here but completely forgot about even posting on this forum. The problem ended up being the ECM which was covered under a Polaris recall. The ECM was replaced by a dealership in Eagle River, AK and I haven't had a problem since. check out this page from the Consumer Product Recall Division. You'll need your VIN from the bike but I do see 2004 Model year 500 Sportsman's on here. If yours is on here, print the page and take it to your local dealership. It's a safety issue and they have to cover the repair. Good luck and I hope this helps: Polaris Industries Expands Recall of ATVs Due to Fire Hazard

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the info! Checked the recall and it said models sold from July 2004 and newer, mine was sold in April 2004 so thats not it but thanks for the help!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Willie,

I'd pay more attention to the model number in the recall rather than the date sold. The model designation is going to be what they go off of for the recall. The recall was also expanded: Polaris Industries Expands Recall of ATVs Due to Fire Hazard . I wouldn't discount your problem as not being the ECM. Almost every major electrical component is tied to the ECM. It would be worth a call to the dealership with your VIN to see if it's included; if for no other reason than to avoid the possible fire hazard.

Don

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just called the dealership and mine wasn't part of the recall! Now how do I remove the relay to put the light switch back to normal,Can I just disconnect the wires to the relay? If I do that will the lights work normally?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Willie, Good thing we don't have dial phones any longer or that call might have strained a finger muscle or broken a nail. I'm not sure what mod you had done to your lights but if a relay was installed, there were probably wires cut during installation. A relay is nothing more than an electrically operated mechanical switch. What did the mod do?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found a youtube on the relay installation to operate 3 headlights...I'm assuming that's the mod you made. Here's the video:
and they didn't cut the wires but simply tapped into them by removing some insulation. If yours was done like this; you should be able to cut the wires to the relay and cap them off so they don't ground out and be back to normal headlight function.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
That guy in the video is such a douchbag :D

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
They probably did a lousy job and now it shorts to the kill switch (guessing).

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts