Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any significant difference in the front suspension of a Sportsman 500 from year to year? Are the a-arms and struts the same or is there a change after a certain year. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Aside from a few variations with springs for different models like Touring, 6x6’s, Ute’s......I’m pretty sure those other parts were the same. Plenty of aftermarket a-arm, tie rods, ball joints or suspension springs available.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I was searching for a-arms and nothing older than 2005 is listed. That's why I asked. I know the XP's I believe have double arms but I didn't know if they changed something on the standard 500. Thanks

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yeah it’s like the standard 570 to the SP570(aside from engines virtually same bikes as 500”s and 800’s) that has double a-arm and no strut. What year is your 500?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got 3 , a 99, an 01, and an 04 , the 01 is a parts bike. The 99 my daughter uses and I use the 04.

·
9,488 Posts
Yep, they went to longer/taller struts and springs and the strut housing changed too for more suspension travel. I've converted a few older machines to the newer/longer style. In fact, I've got a brand new set of the older style shorter struts if you need some.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So if there is no difference in parts from year to year, I know that mine are older, but what is the difference that aftermarket a-arms are only listed for 2005 and newer Sportsman 500's. I contacted SuperAtv and I got a chart listing what they fit from 2005 till now but no reason why they don't. Anybody here have an answer.

·
Premium Member
3,980 Posts
Generally the fitment charts only look at the part number. And with the manufacturer, any change to that part, no matter how small would require that the modified part have a new part number. So the ones listed that fit the 05 and up may well be just fine on the older models. Usually though, if you look up the old part number it will be superseded to the new one. If it''s not, the only way to be sure is with an answer from someone who has done it, or your own experience. Take a chance, buy them and try it.

·
9,488 Posts
Yep, what stave said ^^… BUT the 05 and up arms may actually be longer to accommodate the longer suspension travel Polaris went to on the newer machines and could present fitment problems unless you change the entire front suspension to the newer style like I've done on a couple machines
What EXACTLY are you wanting to do to WHICH machine OP?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 04 has a bent right a-arm, want something heavier. Let someone use it, returned broken. My other option is to take stock a-arms and plate them underneath so they reinforce the arm but also act as a skid plate. That isn't an issue, I'm a welder by trade, it's basically got to do with time. If I did one atv, I'd do both just for the sake of doing so. Just get 2 sets so I could do it, put the the reinforced arms on, keep the others as spares.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts