Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Sportsman 700
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new to a Polaris forum.
I have a 03 Sportsman 700. It’s in immaculate shape, low hours and miles.
We were out riding on the sand last weekend and I noticed when taking off from a stop that my front wheels kicked into 4wd at a higher rpm. I double checked my theory back at home in the gravel with the rear end jacked up. And it did just that. I called our local Polaris dealer & talked to a tech/mechanic. He told me this is not correct, there’s a problem.
I’ve seen both answers on this forum, that it’s ok and that something’s wrong. I just don't want to be cutting cookies in the snow or sand and have the front kick in and get chucked. Can anyone confirm one way or another?

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
490 Posts
I’ve heard of that to, never experienced it. Can’t see how it can engage without being energized by the switch. Some have said it’s a static charge from high RPMs, can’t see how that can happen with the parts being in an oil bath. So I to will wait to hear some answers.

·
Premium Member
2015 Sportsman XP 1000 LE Touring
145 Posts
You sir, have a malfunction.
That isn't "normal operation".
(I'm assuming you're aware there's switch for 4*4 / 2*4, & you're in fact in 2wd mode)

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Some have said it’s a static charge from high RPMs, can’t see how that can happen with the parts being in an oil bath.
Hmm, "oil bath"... Jrod76, checked the fluid level lately in the front?

Reactions: MrEd

·
Premium Member
10,358 Posts
Change the oil.

·
Registered
2003 Sportsman 700
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You sir, have a malfunction.
That isn't "normal operation".
(I'm assuming you're aware there's switch for 4*4 / 2*4, & you're in fact in 2wd mode)
Correct assumption. 4x4 works fine. 2wd that kicks into 4wd at a high rev is the issue. I’ll check the fluid. Btw, what kind of fluid does it take, if I need to add some?

·
Premium Member
145 Posts

·
Registered
9,454 Posts
Are the tire sizes correct or have they been changed from the factory specified sizes?

ATF or Polaris Angle Drive Fluid

·
Premium Member
145 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,358 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,358 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,358 Posts
You beat me to the answer, but yes if the ratios differ substantially from the design ratio, it matters.
Just trying to keep up with the Big Dog on the porch 😉!!

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
You beat me to the answer, but yes if the ratios differ substantially from the design ratio, it matters.
I understand how it would alter engagement if tires were "changed", when in 4*4.
However Off should be off. And being in 2wd, I'm at a loss as how does tire size matter?

·
Premium Member
10,358 Posts
What does the hub fluid look like??

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,358 Posts

·
11,136 Posts
Correct assumption. 4x4 works fine. 2wd that kicks into 4wd at a high rev is the issue. I’ll check the fluid. Btw, what kind of fluid does it take, if I need to add some?
Incidental engagement of the front housing when spinning in 2wd is caused by one or more of the following problems with front housing components.... The armature plate worn/magnetized, weak H springs or worn rollers, cracked roller cage, worn output hubs. Its usually a combination of the above. Time for a front housing tear down, inspection and repair.
Dirty oil generally causes it NOT to engage when selected rather than engaging when not selected.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts