Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Sportsman 500 HO with the "normal" fuel leak from the carb bowl. I have read a lot of threads about replacing the o-rings on the float valve seat. I have my carb apart and will be in the process of replacing the rings. Two questions: 1. Can I get the o-rings by themselves somewhere other than from Polaris in a kit? (If so where and what size?) 2. My float valve seat is brass and looks like it has two rings. One is a small one that fits in a recess and the other is a very thin one that fits between the ridge and the bowl. The one that is now on there looks flat. Is the one between the bowl and the seat also an o-ring and should I replace it also? Thanks for any help. I want to get it right so I don't have to pull everything back apart again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I said I had the carb out, I should have said that I just have the bowl off. I still have the choke and throttle connected. The carb is out of the boot and flipped upside down. Trying to avoid a total rebuild since the only problem is the fuel leak out of the bowl. I have a poor record of dealing with carbs. It's running great now with no bogging, skipping etc. so I really hesitate on taking things apart. Have plans to sell it once I get the leak stopped. I read one thread that suggested to put a stopper on the hose fitting and just remember to turn the fuel off when not in use. Anyone ever done that?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
thats a good way to flood your crank case with gas...if its over flowing ..gas has to go some where just takes once to forget...if your going to sell it..may as well do it right...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree so I replaced the o-rings on the seat (needle was fine) and cranked it up this morning to see if it leaked. So far no leaks. I will give it a good drive around and see if anything developes. I do beleive that it's always a good idea to burn off the fuel in the carb with the petcock in the off position if your going to leave it parked for any length of time. Will follow up. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
its not a good idea to drain carb....put in some marine stabil or sea foam ..when carb is empty it condensates in there..then you get oxidation...more problems..the Marine stabil has anti corrision stuff in it besides ethanol treatment

1 - 6 of 6 Posts