Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When my atv is off the pod is backlit (also when key removed).

More importantly all my lcd display does not function, nor does the awd... but the atv starts and drives and the lights hi/low work.

After searching the web and this site extensively I know the awd is controlled by the guage/pod.

I checked the fuses all good, this 2007 sportsman 800 has very very low hours and miles and never ridden through the mud.

Unfortunately there isn't a dealer intown or anywhere within a few hundred miles (I am competent mechanic) but before calling up the dealer in Anchorage and sending an expensive speedo pod I need to know if there are any connections that should check. While messing around with the system today for a moment the whole system worked for a brief moment, so I think something needs to be unplugged and plugged back in.

I have followed the sensor to from the pod to the front right wheel and the other wiring harness on the guage pod down the handle bars.

Should I bite the bullet and get a new pod or is there a connection I need to check?

Photos and diagrams or directions on the web are much appreciated.

Sobie2

PS 1200bruce
First off, welcome to the board! ha ha ha beat you to it...

·
Registered
52 Posts
PS 1200bruce
First off, welcome to the board! ha ha ha beat you to it...
Haha

You store the machine outside? or anywhere that moisture might get in to the pod? It really sounds like it got wet on the inside.

My 07 sp 700 pretty much resides in mud/water and I haven't had any issues, but then again I did silicon the breather hole on the back as well as where the bezell screws on. I had the pod submerged in water the other day for about 10 min and nothing is wrong. If you've unplugged and replugged the two connections on the pod and there is no change, you might just have a defective pod. Sorry I can't be more help. You might give the dealer a call first and see if they have any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And welcome to the board!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mjohnson,

busted, I do store my machine outside but I tarp it. But I live in an area with high humidity. So the breather hole on the back huh? the lense cover on the speedo pod has never fogged on me though.

The the problem most likely lies in the pod...hmmmm.... and not some connection elsewhere?

Sobie2

·
Registered
52 Posts
Honestly, I don't think parking outside, even in high humidity, would cause such damage. I live in alamaba (high humidity) and parked outside for about a year before I ended up throwing silicon all over the pod. I think it is more probable that you just ended up with a defective pod. You aren't by chance still under warranty??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am checking to see if the machine is still under warranty. I did notice that the tank vent had become disconnected within the pod assembly. The back isn't eaten away but the id decal on the guage pod has disolved so I can't read the part number. I took the pod inside and after a day plugged it back in and the darn thing worked!!! but only for about 10 seconds :(

Sobie2

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yep. Definately sounds like the circuit board got wet somehow.

That's exactly how my phones act when I decide that it's a good idea to lay in the hot tub with them.. :( The best was when a buddy informed me the next morning (after a big party) that I claimed my new iphone (my 3rd...ulg) was "impervious to water" just seconds before sitting in the water. He said my reaction was priceless when I realized one of the many features of the phone ISN'T water resistance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered a new speedo/guage cluster pod on Monday and hope to have it by December 1st. I will post the results, hope it works.

I am thinking about siliconing the small hole in the back of the unit to prevent this from happening in the future... if the problem is ineeded the unit.

Sobie2

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
found a new one on ebay for 280 but calling around Alaska and Seattle Polaris dealers first for one in stock (nobody stocks one) was 300 to 330.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The guage pod asm came in yesterday. I installed it and it worked problem solved!

I also ordred a rocker switch assembly for the winch which like pod also went out from being outside. ($20).

I can't help but feel a little mad because both of these items went out, and while my machine lives outside (no garage) it is tarped, and it has never been off roaded or gone through even 2" of water. I do however live in a rain southeast Alaska forest but...

Sobie2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts