Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a few off us discussed this a while back, and I finally found the video today so I thought I d share in case anyone wanted to see if it would work with the 570 as well. This is a great up close DIY video on the intake mod on the Sportsman 500. Check it out guys, see what you think. Might be worth it, might not. Huge props to Starpuss for a great video.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Well a few off us discussed this a while back, and I finally found the video today so I thought I d share in case anyone wanted to see if it would work with the 570 as well. This is a great up close DIY video on the intake mod on the Sportsman 500. Check it out guys, see what you think. Might be worth it, might not. Huge props to Starpuss for a great video.

Polaris Sportsman 500 air box / Air Intake Modification - YouTube
If you open up our 570 airbox, you will see that where the snorkel connects to the lid, it doesn't have that same fitting. The opening to the lid is as large as the snorkel itself, there is no excess material to remove to make the hole larger.

The only way to do it is to remove the snorkel and install a bigger one with a larger diameter and more flow. Some people have said to remove the lid, but then you have to worry about mud and slop getting in there.

While I agree with the guy in the video that there is room for improvement, at the same time I have trouble taking advice from a guy that claims he is gaining improved airflow that uses an air filter that looks like it hasn't been cleaned in years... If he was concerned with airflow and performance, his first step should be to get that filthy filter out of there and clean it, because THAT is his current bottleneck...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Polaris Sportsman 500 air box / Air Intake Modification - YouTube
If you open up our 570 airbox, you will see that where the snorkel connects to the lid, it doesn't have that same fitting. The opening to the lid is as large as the snorkel itself, there is no excess material to remove to make the hole larger.

The only way to do it is to remove the snorkel and install a bigger one with a larger diameter and more flow. Some people have said to remove the lid, but then you have to worry about mud and slop getting in there.

While I agree with the guy in the video that there is room for improvement, at the same time I have trouble taking advice from a guy that claims he is gaining improved airflow that uses an air filter that looks like it hasn't been cleaned in years... If he was concerned with airflow and performance, his first step should be to get that filthy filter out of there and clean it, because THAT is his current bottleneck...
Agree with you, I don't ride deep mud so I'm going to remove the lid down the road and see what happens.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have took off the air lid and sounds much nice and fills faster. There is no mud our snow where I live.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
On these POPO's there isn't a lot to be gained from just doing the airbox. To me it just isn't worth what you are going to achieve with it plus as lean as these things run now for EPA standards you could be leaning the engine out even more. In the old 2 stroke days opening the airbox was a huge improvement.

Ronnie

·
Registered
113 Posts
Txrnnie is this bad for the 570?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I am not going to say it is bad or not because I really do not know. From just doing a lot of reading about all the EPA standards now days I just think these machines are set up lean and I was told that is why they got rid of the 500 was because they couldn't lean it out enough to get it to meet standards. Not saying that is correct but that is what the dealer told me. We read of exhaust glowing, seats melting. plastic melting and some more heat issues on some models and to me some of that could be running them lean enough to meet the standards. Without a fuel controller for me I would just be a little scared of doing this and the power gain from this would not be worth it.

Ronnie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts