Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a set of the led lights to replace the lights on my 2012 sportsman 500 and they ordered the wrong wiring harness. They claim that the harness they gave me is the correct one and that there is no other wiring harnesses that polaris makes for lights. Anyone know what harness I need? I will add part numbers later tonight.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I ordered a set of the led lights to replace the lights on my 2012 sportsman 500 and they ordered the wrong wiring harness. They claim that the harness they gave me is the correct one and that there is no other wiring harnesses that polaris makes for lights. Anyone know what harness I need? I will add part numbers later tonight.
These are the lights I bought
Polaris Off Road Vehicles: Four Wheelers, RANGER RZR Side by Side ATVs and UTVs)

This is the wiring harness I got
Polaris Off Road Vehicles: Four Wheelers, RANGER RZR Side by Side ATVs and UTVs)

Anyone know what I need to get????

·
Registered
862 Posts
looks like the one they gave you is for adding a light bar or just adding accessory lights.

did the lights come with the harness that is pictured with the lights? im gussing that one replaces the factory harness to combine the high and low beam.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks like the one they gave you is for adding a light bar or just adding accessory lights.

did the lights come with the harness that is pictured with the lights? im gussing that one replaces the factory harness to combine the high and low beam.
The lights them self didn't come with a harness. It states on the website it is sold separately.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
looks like they gave you an accessary wire harness....the one pictured with the lights looks like plug an play....the one you showed looks like it needs to be wired thru the bike..tell them you want the one pictured with the lights....even says when you put your machine in the boxes..it will not fit 2012 sportsman 500

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
these look right? the title makes sense, its polaris part number 2878624

yep its on page i think 129 of the acessory catalog, 2878624 is the harness for the led lights, one they gave you are for the add on spot lights or bar lightts to add on.
Can I get that catalog online? I cant find the harness on polaris' website for some reason.

·
Registered
862 Posts
that was from a 2013 catalog i had. the one on Polaris's "awesome" site for 2014 actually list the one they sent you 2879863 as the universal led harness. not sure what one would work better for you, maybe see if the other one is still available, it is on amazon at least. not really sure if it would be any easier as a lot of people complain that its still a pain to cut and splice the wires for it.

the older on to me looks like it would be more appropriate for the head light install. the 863 kit has a switch and relays that you really don't need. you just need to tap into the high beam and the power down to the plug.

here is the link to the 2013 catalog
take a look at page 130-131 on the right it list the harness as 2878624.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that was from a 2013 catalog i had. the one on Polaris's "awesome" site for 2014 actually list the one they sent you 2879863 as the universal led harness. not sure what one would work better for you, maybe see if the other one is still available, it is on amazon at least. not really sure if it would be any easier as a lot of people complain that its still a pain to cut and splice the wires for it.

the older on to me looks like it would be more appropriate for the head light install. the 863 kit has a switch and relays that you really don't need. you just need to tap into the high beam and the power down to the plug.

here is the link to the 2013 catalog
take a look at page 130-131 on the right it list the harness as 2878624.
This is the book that my dealer will have right? Im going to call tomorrow since they said they cant find the harness.....

·
Registered
862 Posts
they might if they kept it from last year. if not just tell them the part number and they will tell you if they can get them. if not see if you can return that one and get the one from amazon or fixmytoys.com.

it looks like they tried to combine the harness for head lights and the one for accessory lights in to one. the one they gave you is for 2014 models including the 570 and 800, i wouldn't think they changed much since then but who knows. the older kit does look a bit less complicated lol.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
What I would like to know is if you can wire the kit so that all of the lights in the led upgrade would come on at once on low beam, and when you hit the high beam switch on the handle bars the pod light would come on?

·
Registered
862 Posts
What I would like to know is if you can wire the kit so that all of the lights in the led upgrade would come on at once on low beam, and when you hit the high beam switch on the handle bars the pod light would come on?

you could, just mod the 3 head light mod lol. i would use a relay on the low beam power source and have it power both low and high beam leds so they are on at once. then just use the 3 light mod to make the pod high beam come one too. i would look at how much power the leds draw total before though to make sure you are not going to kill you voltage regulator or stator.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

you could, just mod the 3 head light mod lol. i would use a relay on the low beam power source and have it power both low and high beam leds so they are on at once. then just use the 3 light mod to make the pod high beam come one too. i would look at how much power the leds draw total before though to make sure you are not going to kill you voltage regulator or stator.
Ok that makes since. Forgot to mention that I have a 550 eps so all my lights come on in high beam from the factory. So basically just need to skip the three headlight mod. I also looked at a wiring harness for the rangers led conversion and basically stock they have two positive wires and one ground, and the leds have two grounds and two positive wires. Obviously our sportsman have on one neg. and one positive. Seems simple enough only if the power output matches up

·
Registered
862 Posts

Ok that makes since. Forgot to mention that I have a 550 eps so all my lights come on in high beam from the factory. So basically just need to skip the three headlight mod. I also looked at a wiring harness for the rangers led conversion and basically stock they have two positive wires and one ground, and the leds have two grounds and two positive wires. Obviously our sportsman have on one neg. and one positive. Seems simple enough only if the power output matches up
should be quite easy, just expensive!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is there an extra switch to deal with the high/low beams in those lights? Would my headlight pod light be deactivated? Would I have to do a switch aftermarket?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Lol, true that. Not sure if its worth it. I cant even find anything on youtube about these. Wish I could see a comparison between stock and this factory led upgrade. Maybe the OP will post some before and after pics

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lol, true that. Not sure if its worth it. I cant even find anything on youtube about these. Wish I could see a comparison between stock and this factory led upgrade. Maybe the OP will post some before and after pics
I am starting to wonder what I have gotten myself into... lol

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I dont think that your pod light would be deactivated. Gonna do some research and will update you soon. In the mean time are there any part #s on the box/paper work/instructions that are different from the polaris one's? In the directions do they have any other companies name in small print? Also look on the lights themselves for any of these. This will also help me find out how much power these things consume

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I dont think that your pod light would be deactivated. Gonna do some research and will update you soon. In the mean time are there any part #s on the box/paper work/instructions that are different from the polaris one's? In the directions do they have any other companies name in small print? Also look on the lights themselves for any of these. This will also help me find out how much power these things consume
I will check tomorrow.. is that is 68 camero in your profile picture? I really like the 67-69 cameros.. lol

1 - 20 of 60 Posts