Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2002 Sportsman 700 and recently replaced the belt on it with a oem polaris belt. It now moves when idling (idle speed is normal, not high) and also sometimes will not shift gears. Will go into gear from park no problem, but wont change after moving. However when I turn the machine off it shifts smoothly into every gear. It seems the new belt is too tight causing it to creep. What could be the cause of this and how do I fix it? Is there a way to loosen the tension on the belt? Also, the belt sticks up above the top of the secondary clutch. Its like the two plates of the clutch are squeezing too tightly on the belt. Is this normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
The primary clutch probably needs a very good cleaning. Scotch bright the faces of the sheaves and clean with brake fluid. Also check the one way bearing down in the bottom, between the sheaves. It should spin freely. Sounds like either old belt material, dirt and grime in the primary clutch and/or the one way bearing is going south.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The one way bearing moves freely and just cleaned the clutches. Still have the problem. What else could it be?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Washers on each side of the one way bearing, worn bushings in primary, weak spring, weights sticking, movable sheave binding, clutch alignment. Just the most common issues. Belt is sitting correctly in secondary. But you can add a shim between the sheaves to open it up a little if needed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
check motor mounts. I had the same symtoms and my front mount had come apart allowing the motor to go sideways thus throwing the clutch out of allighnment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine does the same thing but it fixes it if i pull the idle out and put it back in before i switch gears and if i kill it and try to start it it will start rolling as i start it too.

·
Registered
900 Posts
By replacing belts , your new oneis going to wider than the previous one. The problem most likely in at the primary clutch. Check to see where the belt sits on the primary while idling your engine. Does your belt turn when idling in neutral? If so , the primary is moving it. Sticking one way bearing or your belt alignment is off.
EBS belts are supposed to be tight and your belt position on the secondary looks ok (mine looks identical)

There are many threads on this issue.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts