Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thanks in advance for your help.

I have a 2005 MV7 that is used mostly for pushing snow.

The front end feels "spongy" leading me to the conclude that it's time to replace some parts.

I see lots of references in the forum to replacing the springs but none about replacing the struts. My struts are probably due for replacement as well.

I'm curious to know if there is a better option than buying the Polaris replacement parts (7041762 STRUT-FRONT,18X30MM,184.7MM LT for example).

The best price that I have found for the strut is $87.10 plus shipping. Add in the cost of springs, spacers, ball pivots, and a few other small parts and the total cost with shipping is $497.82. That's just for the front end. I would assume that the back suspension will be in similar shape and cost about the same amount. That would see me nearly $1,000 in the suspension, or more than25% of what I paid for the machine.

So, what is the best option? Is there a good and less expensive option?

Thanks again,

Bill

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Spring supports the load, strut dampens the oscillations of the spring.
I would replace the springs only.

·
Registered
455 Posts

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Spring supports the load, strut dampens the oscillations of the spring.
I would replace the springs only.
They aren't gas charged struts?
Yes,.....but that only prevents aeration of the oil in the shock. The gas charge does little to nothing in supporting the load.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Just replace the springs...The strut does little to support. Unless you busted one...springs are the best option!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
455 Posts

·
Registered
2,350 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts

·
Registered