Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, thanks for all the help so far ,everyone's been a lot of help with all my problems.
I have a 2003 sportsman 400. I bought it a couple months ago,Its my first quad and I know nothing about them just learning as i go.
It ran great until a week ago when it started bogging down on me about half throttle or when i hammer it from the get go. It doesnt do it every time probaly about 25 percent of the time though. I ran it this morning for about twenty minutes and it only did it once, then I rode it just now for another twenty and it did it off and on the whole time.
So far Ive changed the plug and air filter. I also filled it up with 93 and put sea foam in it but probaly only rode it an hour since.
I know the next step is cleaning the carb but if that was the problem wouldnt it run bad all the time? It starts up and idles great.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
900 Posts
It sounds like the fuel isn't very good any more and you need to run that tank through with the seafoam in it to see if it clears up. Don't be afraid to hammer down on the throttle to clear out any carbon either! :)
The seafoam is good stuff and it "should" take care of any carb gunk if that's the issue. Taking off the carb would be my next step if you still suspect fuel problems. Check your fuel lines and filter if you have one. You might be starving for fuel.
You could also have an intermittent electrical issue which won't be fun trying to find. Good luck....

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I would clean the carb up REAL good and see it that helps. I'm gonna guess that's your problem. Make sure you have good fuel flow to the carb.

If carb cleaning and fuel delivery are good then unfortunately it could be the cam lobes are rounded off....

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help and sorry for the late reply. Running through a tank of high octane gas with sea foam did the trick.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Run your favorite carbon cleaner regularly

I like Startron, as effective as seafoam yet far less costly. I use it on all my I engines All the time. I buy it as a good lawnmower shop for $20 a quart, that treats 512 gallons. Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - Star Tron Story

:fest06:

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I've always been a seafoam guy but for the $ I WILL give that star tron a whirl

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same problem with the bogging on my 2012 Sportsman. It started getting worse and worse so I had a friend check my carburetor. I almost purchased the carb rebuild kit & other items for him, but he said to hold off until he checked it out. Thank god I waited since he saved me some money. The only problem with it was junk in the carburetor. He cleaned it out (and checked it out good) and it's running like a brand new machine! I already had the carb rebuild kit, a Uni air filter and a Dyna jet kit in my cart to purchase when it was fixed for free! It was a very nice and unexpected surprise! I'm a newbie so I thought I'd be putting out a lot of money for sure. Always make sure you have someone check it out that knows what they're doing. It can save you a lot of money in the long run... ��
Also, if you don't drive it everyday or 2-3 times a week and you use normal fuel (w/ethanol), you should use a fuel treatment. I now use Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment. I was told the treatment would help prevent carburetor issues like I'd just had...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts