Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 sportsman 600 and sometimes when I shift it into high it grinds and doesn't engage. Other times it shifts in fine no problem. It shifts into all the other gears perfect. Just sometimes going into high it gives me a problem.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Could one or more of many things....RPM? belt not stopping? old belt? clutch dirty? shift assy worn out, how much slop in linkage? does the shift lever move a lot when in gear or does it feel loose? how many miles/hours on it? detent stop not working? need some more info, you need to eliminate a few issues, some listed here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the Rpms where to high wouldn't in grind engaging into each gear?? The belts about 8 months old. The clutch could be dirty haven't looked at it. There isn't a lot of play when it's in gear. Not a lot shifting into the gears either. The machine has just over 1000 miles. Also do you have to have your foot on the rear brake when putting it in drive? Thanks Jon.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When it does grind going into gear. It continues to grind while in gear and when I give it gas in gear it still grinds until I pull it out of drive.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You should have to put you rear brake on to shift. Sounds like the bell crank bushing or the shift gears behind it may be worn? Do you do a lot of shifting ie: reverse forward etc.? this would wear the shift gears. If it is the gears easy fix and not too expensive 30-40$ if you do it yourself.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where's the bell crank bushings? Or the shift gears?. I don't feel like I shift anymore from reverse to drive than anyone else would.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Refresh me..... the 2004 600 had the inline shifter correct? Or was it the "h style pattern"?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was the last year before they change the style of the shifter. I believe this has the H style shifter. Could be wrong though.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Follow the shift linkage down toward the rear of the foot well you can see bell crank on the end of the shift rod that came from the front, the bell crank attaches to the rod ,goes through a bushing and attaches to the shift gears, there should be an electrical connection there as well which is your gear position sensor. The gears that wear are behind this small plate I think it has 6 small bolts to hold it on, also on the side is your detent hold pin it has a spring that runs to your foot brake. I think if you're having a bit of trouble knowing if you have a H-shift pattern or an inline this may be a problem for you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The linkage was very loose in the shifter. Just tightened it up. Feels a lot better. I also noticed it is idling between 1400-1500 rpms. I know that's to high. Shouldn't it be around 900-1000 rpms?? I tried adjusting the idle but can see the left side of the carb without removing some plastic. guessing the idle screw is on the left side of the carb? The right side of the carb is very accessible. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the idle down to about 1100 or so. Still making the grinding sound when he goes into high sometimes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took pulled off the bell crank housing off. It looked like it was just greased and everything looked good. No dirt or anything. I greased it up some more and re assembled it. What else could it be??

·
Registered
424 Posts
?? Transmission oil change? it may help? Is the detent pin releasing when you step on the rear brake? The detent spring attached to the brake should move it about 3/8"-1/2" to dis-engage it. you could remove the detent assy to check if that helps shift if it's not releasing the interior shift gear. Is the belt still spinning when you idle down? Just shooting out questions here for you to check.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ill try that next. Any particular transmission oil? From the exterior part the detent is coming down about 3/8 of an inch. The rear brakes aren't working because I need new pads I believe. When I had the cover off the bellcrank I didn't notice anything moving inside when I pressed the brake? But from the exterior part it is coming down.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Sounds like the detent may be broken or badly gummed up, you can remove it and try shifting to see if that was the issue it just unscrews after you remove the spring. Polaris has specific trans oil I would use it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can unscrew the detent without remove the bell crank housing? If the detent is internally messed up inside the bell crank would unscrewing it from the outside still determine if the detent is the issue?? There's a spring on the inside of the bell crank for the detent as well right? Thanks Jon

·
Registered
424 Posts
The item that you unscrew from the outside is a stop with a pin that engages the shift gear to prevent it from going into park or high without stepping on the rear brake, it is not connected to the internal detent stop with the small 3/4" spring. Perhaps my terminology was not 100% and may have confused the issue. You can unscrew it without interfering with anything else to check if this was a problem.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts