Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 550 sportsman with aftermarket tires which are slightly larger with more aggressive tread than stock. My question is: the ride is extremely stiff even with the factory shocks on the "softest setting" and tires filled to less than maximum volume allowed. Does anyone recommend any aftermarket shocks that will have a softer ride than stock? Trail riding particularly on rockier trails is very rough and makes it less enjoyable on longer rides. My 2008 500 that my son rides has a much softer ride with all stock equipment and seems to "float" over the rocky trails. Thanks for the input

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
Elka will custom build a shock/spring package to your liking. They have mild to wild. I think if you do a stage one or two you'll be super pleased.

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
No problem-O. Also your 550 is completely different then your sons 500. The 550 which I call the XP chassis is a more agile/sporty ride where as the 500 is the VL (value line) chassis which is more of a softer ride and feel to the suspension.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’d have to run out and check but max pressure could be around 18psi I believe and I try to keep around 12 thinking it would make for less “firmness” on the ride

·
10,309 Posts
HOLY COW!! LOL... That's what I figured by the way you described the harsh ride.
You've got WAY WAY too much pressure in the tires!! No wonder it rides like a wagon.
You should be running no more than 5-6 psi MAX!! OEM specs on factory tires is 5 psi.
You MUST have a good low pressure tire gauge to set them correctly. A low pressure gauge only reads from 0-15 psi. A regular tire gauge is not accurate enough to set atv low pressure tires.
Let your tires down to the correct pressure and you will notice a HUGE difference in the ride. You can then decide if you really need to spend $1400 on a set of custom shocks to make it even more plush. (y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
You’re probably right about that. I was on the right track but didn’t take it far enough. I’ll reset and see how it feels

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
HOLYSH!T!!!!!!!!!! Great question Polman I would have never thought the OP tire pressure was that high. OP max you would want to run is 8psi. I've been as low as 3psi on beadlocks. Baseline tire pressure is 5psi, then adjust from there. 4-8psi is your range.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Obviously I’ve been riding on bricks! No wonder it’s a rough ride. Thanks guys beats $ for shocks if it takes care of it.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I’d have to run out and check but max pressure could be around 18psi I believe and I try to keep around 12 thinking it would make for less “firmness” on the ride
Your in for a welcome surprise at 5 psi. Wouldn’t hurt to check and see that preloads are set the same since you said one side was more harsh. You never know.....o_O

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
agred double chk those pre-loads sounds like you have them at their softest setting but doesn't hurt to be positive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I run 4.5 and if you have 6 ply or higher tires they have a much stiffer sidewall. Air down and you will be amazed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for all the input. As my “username” suggests, lack of time to enjoy this hobby is my main hurdle. As soon as I can go out again I’ll adjust the pressures and respond.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts