Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I bought a used 2006 sportsman 450 last summer, and almost imediately I noticed when putting it in reverse, going uphill it stalls out. It's like it's starving for gas, if I keep my finger on the throttle it will die out. BTW it seems to be a very high speed reverse, which I really don't like. When I put it in high range going uphill, I dont have the same problen as reverse uphill...it performs fine. Also, when moving forward, it almost always has a split second of hesitation-but when it does grab hold-it's off to the races! The only thing I've done so far is changed the soleniod and the spark plug. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Let's separate this into two questions.
Reverse Issue:
I wonder if the reverse override is causing interference? Have you checked those electrical connections?
Clutch engagement:
Have you ridden another Polaris to see if the engagement is similar or more harsh? Is the engagement of the belt causing any noise from the belt?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry, I don't know alot about ATV's, nor do I know what reverse overide is, or what it's purpose is. Maybe someone can enlighten me. :gruebel:
And no, I don't know of anyone else with a Polaris. Would a problem clutch only show it's ugly head while reversing? It's confusing...I just don't understand why the engine would bog down to the point of stopping completely.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Without holding the yellow button it won't let you rev too high and won't go into 4wd while in reverse.

Sean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts