Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Polaris has them :devil

If you are looking for a high lift cam, then no, but if you know what lift, duration and overlap you want, contact megacyclecams.com - they may be able to regrind your cam and lifters to your specs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know of anyone that can make a high lift cam profile? I don’t know much about designing something like that.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
No - I don't know of anyone trying to hop up the Polaris engine - they are designed as utility and are not considered performance engines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’d think there has to be someone. The scrambler is a sport atv. Just seems everyone is making all kind of parts for every other brand/model except sportsman’s and scramblers. 😂

·
Registered
46 Posts
It seems a little weird to me that there is virtually NO AFTERMATKET for either the polaris 850 or 1000. Meanwhile, the more complicated V twin CAN-AMs have a few companies that know how to get 120hp or more out of the rotax engines. I don't get it the Polaris Design seems much better but all that is available is exhaust and tuning with claimed +10 ish hp.

The 1000 is "fast enough" but more power is already on my mind after less than a month. I ride in the sand and there is no such thing as too much power. Maybe the 2020 Sportsman and Scrabler 'S' will drive some R&D on the XP chassis.

Polaris might even bring out a hod rod version in a year or two. They have proven that they can make 110hp from the 999cc naturally aspirated RZR 1000. Hopefully they will shoehorn that into an ATV.

Or the 181hp 925cc TURBO engine! Yeah right, I seriously doubt it. That would catch my attention in the XP 'S' machines though. I might even get over the 55" width for the improvements it would bring on the sand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did happen to run across a cam for the xp850, I can’t remember the site though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Tbcobra, your comment made me wonder if the camshafts interchange.. so I looked it up. According to the parts diagrams, the part #s are the exact same 850 and 1000. So the 850 cam should drop in a 1000. However the cylinder head and intake and exhaust valves are a different part #. It makes me wonder if the 1000 valves are bigger or if the 1000 has better porting or both. I know that the 850 and 1000 have different bore AND stroke so naturally the cases, crankshaft and pistons are different. The cylinder on these motors are automotive style, one piece with the block. I believe that early 850s had replacable iron cylinder liners, but later 850s and all 1000s have nicasil plated cylinders. Also if I remember right the 850 is actually an 850 (850CCs) but the "1000" is really only 952CCs. Interestingly they both have a claimed 11.0:1 compression ratio. Pretty respectable for a "utility engine" and they both run on 87 octane as well( according to my owner's manuals)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts