Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2019 sportsman 1000 brand new. Brought it home and the sway bar is rubbing the left shock. The sway bar keeps shifting to the right causing it to rub. Going to call the dealer on Tuesday when they open but wasn’t sure if anyone has a solution to this. I’ve found a couple post about it on here. But no one has given an answer as to a fix. Just everyone saying remove it which isn’t an option for me. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
My 19 1000 does this too.. it's a poor design, with no provision to control side to side movement. I plan to take the swaybar off and see how I like the handling. Hopefully I can leave it off. Less weight, better ride and most likely more body roll. Why is that not an option for you?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 19 1000 does this too.. it's a poor design, with no provision to control side to side movement. I plan to take the swaybar off and see how I like the handling. Hopefully I can leave it off. Less weight, better ride and most likely more body roll. Why is that not an option for you?
The type of riding I do around here is a lot of tight fast trails where you want the quad to handle more like a spot quad. I want the least amount of body roll as possible. I can see how someone would want to take it off in rocky situations. But the type of fast riding i do it’s gonna kill the handling. I’ve also been in contact with the engineers from Polaris who are telling me that it is not supposed to make contact with the coil springs and they’re working on a fix. Do you have any pictures of yours?

·
10,595 Posts
With the way the bar and links are designed in combination with the tight clearances between the bar and springs, I see no way to prevent the bar moving side to side in the mount bushings without welding stops on the bar. Another forum member did just that. IIRC, I think he used an appropriately sized flat washer cut in half that fit on the bar right beside the outside of the bushings on either side that were tacked in place and painted to match. This prevents the bar from being able to move either way. The mod was not really even noticeable and the average observer would never know it wasn't oem. It is a simple solution and solves the problem.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Sorry, I've not taken a picture of my sway bar. I'll get a shot of where it rubs. I hear what your saying about fast riding and body roll. I have the same concerns but until I take it off any try it I'm not discounting the option. I ride my sportsmans almost as aggressively as my 450s so if it turns it into a wallowy big that's not going to work for me either, but alot of machines work fine without a sway bar, so I'm going to try it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I've not taken a picture of my sway bar. I'll get a shot of where it rubs. I hear what your saying about fast riding and body roll. I have the same concerns but until I take it off any try it I'm not discounting the option. I ride my sportsmans almost as aggressively as my 450s so if it turns it into a wallowy big that's not going to work for me either, but alot of machines work fine without a sway bar, so I'm going to try it.
Yeah like I said I spoke with the engineer that designs the sportsman’s suspension and has been for the last 18 years according to him. He says leave it on and it’s not the first case they have come across. They’re going through different causes it could be that they have run into in the past. He said somethings out of spec from the factory that’s causing it. I have 4 or 5 other people I ride with that have the same quad between the 1k and 850. They don’t have an issue. The bar is supposed to have some play. But not enough to make contact with anything. I will post the fix when they let me know what it is. He said it’s either the shock out of spec, the bar, the links not being centered in the mount or frame defect.

·
10,595 Posts
Uh oh... He used the E word lol.
I'm just an old country mechanic and it ain't no real mystery to me. The link ends #9 are designed to swivel at the arm and the bar itself is just a slick bar held by the same bushings and brackets #s 2&3 that are used for the steering post. It is designed to swivel at both places and has no kind of stops to prevent the bar moving side to side in the bushings. With repeated cycles of everything moving while you ride and a little expected wear on all the rubber bushings its not surprising at all to me that it would wiggle over to one side or the other. Even when perfectly centered the clearance between the bar and spring is very close so it only has to move maybe 1/2" to make contact.

·
10,595 Posts
Oh yeah... as for the engineer part, I've seen a few times I'd like to have had one of those lab coated, safety glasses wearing, pocket protector nerds in my garage. If I could restrain myself from choking them long enough I might show them first-hand the foolishness of some of their brilliant designs lol. :geek:

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Yeah I feel the same way about the "e" word lol the only excuse for the swaybar design on the XP is cost savings. Not saying the guy doesn't know what he's doing, overall I really like the XP suspension and the hole ATV for that matter. But this sway bar is totally el cheapo.

They could have done something like this:

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Well, after all that bad mouthing.. I went outside to take a picture of where the swaybar rubs the shock. But it's not rubbing haha. After looking at it I'm remember back when I first got it and it rubbed, I spun the spring in the shock and it seemed better. Seems to have fixed mine (I was no overly concerned about it so I hadn't checked) but now I can't even see any rubbed through paint on the spring or swaybar. Maybe it was my 850 that rubbed, or maybe I'm just crazy IDK.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After a bunch of back and forth. Apparently the sway bar links are adjustable, they raised them a half inch and supposedly that fixes the problem. I haven’t really gotten to ride it to test it out yet. But just a couple laps around my driveway seems like it may be good now. I’ll post again after I take it for a spin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello everyone. I bought (2) new 2019 Polaris Sportsman 1000 XP's late last fall. I haven't rode either one yet other than around the block once.. Anyway, the swaybar's are both shifting side to side already. One side I can barely get my pinky in-between the swaybar and the shock spring and on the other side I can get my hand in-between them. You can also see bushing grease witness marks where the bar(s) have moved side to side.

What I am doing to fix the issue is to put (2) stainless (so they don't rust) 1" I.D. (1" is the diameter of the swaybar) double split shaft collars on the swaybar to eliminate side to side movement. I will center the swaybar side to side and put 1 collar on each side of the swaybar right up against the inside of the swaybar bushing.

I bought the (4) 1" I.D. stainless split collars off e-Bay for just under $30. You need (2) per machine.

None of us should have to do this but regardless I hope this helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Y
Hello everyone. I bought (2) new 2019 Polaris Sportsman 1000 XP's late last fall. I haven't rode either one yet other than around the block once.. Anyway, the swaybar's are both shifting side to side already. One side I can barely get my pinky in-between the swaybar and the shock spring and on the other side I can get my hand in-between them. You can also see bushing grease witness marks where the bar(s) have moved side to side.

What I am doing to fix the issue is to put (2) stainless (so they don't rust) 1" I.D. (1" is the diameter of the swaybar) double split shaft collars on the swaybar to eliminate side to side movement. I will center the swaybar side to side and put 1 collar on each side of the swaybar right up against the inside of the swaybar bushing.

I bought the (4) 1" I.D. stainless split collars off e-Bay for just under $30. You need (2) per machine.

View attachment 138136

None of us should have to do this but regardless I hope this helps.
you can also just adjust the links up a half inch and it fixes it. Seems to have worked for mine. I’ve only taken it on a couple of rides but the adjustment has seemed to fix everything. Also I tried to put the clamps on there. They do not fit on the insides of the bushings. They’re too thick and end up contacting the frame. I was able to find ones that were oval on the outside to give better clearance but I never ended up putting them on because it didn’t need it. According to the engineers this is only an issue with the sportsman’s that have the arched a arms.

I attached a picture of the ones I have that actually fit without rubbing. They’re aluminum so they won’t rust either. The only other option was to put them on the outside of the bushings but they end up not going on straight. These ones recommend putting them inside with 1/8 inch clearance so the bar can still slide a little bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the input tjp2473. I may end up extending the end links as well.. The split collars I bought are specifically low profile (I should have mentioned that) - they are 1 5/8" O.D. which comes out to only being 5/16" per side larger than the swaybar. I didn't plan on putting them outside of the swaybar bushings because the radius of the bar on each side starts almost immediately after where the factory bushings are attached. I plan to put them just inside of the bushing around 1/8" for a little movement and no binding. I'll post pic's and my final thoughts after I get them and put them on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update- I received my low profile split collars today and they are too large of an O.D. . The eBay O.D. description did not match the actual size of what I received so they are going back. I am for whatever reason hell bent on leaving the swaybar end link heights where they are! One last try before I adjust them up - I ordered real swaybar lateral locks (Whiteline KLL127) which are oval shaped like tjp2473 already talked about above. If that doesn't work I will pull my head out of my ass and just adjust up the end linkes which I still may need to do even with the lateral locks.. I'm a firm believer in the saying that you can't fix stupid and I might be falling victim to being stupid on this one!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just picked up a 2019 sportsman 1000 brand new. Brought it home and the sway bar is rubbing the left shock. The sway bar keeps shifting to the right causing it to rub. Going to call the dealer on Tuesday when they open but wasn’t sure if anyone has a solution to this. I’ve found a couple post about it on here. But no one has given an answer as to a fix. Just everyone saying remove it which isn’t an option for me. Thanks.
Yes my Sportsman XP 1000 didn't have a problem until I put on XTR 27x11x14 tires and the sway bar was very close to the left tire so I to center it by using a piece of hose and hose clamp did the trick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hose and a hose clamp would & does work really well. I'm just being overly anal since both of my toys are brand new and haven't been rode yet. I'm trying to make the fix look as professional and as good as it can. If they had some miles and age on them the hose & hose clamp fix would be on them now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts