Polaris ATV Forum banner

Sportsman Touring 850 rear drop basket modification..... SWeeeeeeeeeeeeT!

14K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  MuddyMountain 
#1 ·
Hello All,
Wanted to post some thoughts and pics of my Champion ATV Drop Basket that I purchased at Cabelas. Champion ATV Drop-Basket Rack : Cabela's

The rack comes in x2 sections. A flat rack that attaches to the rear deck of the ATV and then a drop basket that bolts on. First, I removed the touring seat from the ATV. I then held up the entire drop basket on the rear decking to see how it would work with and around our ATV and the OEM Polaris rear tube bumper. I quickly realized that a bracket off the Polaris rear tube bumper would work perfectly to support the drop basket. I removed the taillight ends of the tube bumper and used cardboard to mock up a bracket.

From here, I took this cardboard bracket and photographed and resized into Adobe Illustrator. I created an exact outline of this "bracket" shape and put it on a CDR disk to use on my friend's CNC Plasma Cutter. He cut x2 of these brackets with "square" holes to match perfectly with the carriage bolt holes on the Polaris rear tube bumper. Once we had these x2 brackets, we could set up the basket again and make/weld the extra square tubing to meet these brackets on the underside of the basket. We drilled holes in the square tubing prior to welding on the underside of the basket. We set the basket back on the support brackets and marked the holes to drill and bolt together.

We then focused on the flat basket that lays on the ATV rear deck. We had to cut and weld new support steel tubing to allow room for the touring rear seat. After the new support bars were welded we drilled holes for the top bolts. We removed factory ATV bolts and used these holes to bolt the top deck down.

Now just need to paint... After some primer on the plasma cut brackets, I then sprayed rubberized undercoating on the ATV basket, brackets,and rear bumper taillight guards. Just thought another coat of paint on basket wouldn't hurt.

I am really amazed how the Polaris rear tube bumper along with the x2 custom brackets, really help support the drop basket. The bolts on the top of the flat rack aren't under much stress from the rear basket now. I think we'll be able to carry some heavy gear for either work or play.

Here's some pics from the project. Enjoy!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I forgot to add that I took a rubber floor mat and cut to make a cushioned mat between the rear deck lid and the flat basket that sits on top. I also cut a section of this rubber floor mat to make a mat in the bottom of the drop basket.

Here's some more pics....

Attachments

#6 ·
Hey Al,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I searched around and compared some models. This Champion basket had the largest depth, width, length at a reasonable price. We defintely needed a basket that would fit the Husky, gas, and bar/chain oil would fit. We look to use this with our logging trailer this summer.

#5 ·
Wow,.......that machine is bad zzz!
Very nice work, thanks for sharing the details and pics!

#7 ·
Thanks man!
We love our little monster. Lot's of Christmas add-ons this year. I just need to wire in our Superwinch Terra35S and we are done......Well, until we get the plow and the grader and a front ATV bag and ....???? Anyways, it was fun doing a documentary of this to share. Maybe, give some folks some ideas.

#8 ·
Like!!!!

#9 · (Edited)
Very good write up with awesome pics!

That is an awesome looking machine. You have to enter that into Polaris of the month at some point. It would be a sure win. Lots of function and play while still looking museum sharp.
Great addition of storage while allowing the 2up seat to stay. I have been looking at cargo additions, but figured the rear seat would have to come off.
(Only draw back is the taillights are now blocked from view if running on road or group riding)

#11 ·
Very good write up with awesome pics!

That is an awesome looking machine. You have to enter that into Polaris of the month at some point. It would be a sure win. Lots of function and play while still looking museum sharp.
Great addition of storage while allowing the 2up seat to stay. I have been looking at cargo additions, but figured the rear seat would have to come off.
Hey Easystreet!
Thanks for your reply, man. We are super-proud of how our "little monster" is turning out. We want to get out in the mountains and take some pics at work and play. It will make for some neat backgrounds. Anxious to use this with our logging trailer felling and milling timber. We'll get around to entering it into the Polaris of the Month, soon. We appreciate your optimism!

We too looked around for a rear cargo basket for a touring. We found this in Colorado... ATV Dog Carrier by Dusty Dawgs | Two-Ups

Too expensive and decided just to find a large drop basket in the hopes of modifying it to work. The brackets coming off the Polaris rear tube bumper just made it nice and sturdy. It just all came together rather nicely without too much work. Maybe this will inspire others with Polaris Tourings.

Cheers!

#12 ·
MuddyMountain,

What would you charge to do it again, should you be so inclined? What you've made is exactly what I'm looking for.

#14 ·
Hey JG,
Not sure? First, do you have a Polaris Rear Tube Bumper for Touring (like mine)? You would need this bumper to make the application work. Do yo want just the brackets or would you need the complete mod ready for install on your Touring? Just some things to think about. Let me know your thoughts.

#13 ·
No fooling around with that monster.Thanks for sharing!

#16 ·
Hello All,
Tried to get a better pic of the underside of the basket with the brackets. It's late and dark and it's the best I could do this evening. I get some better pics earlier tomorrow afternoon.

But, on another note.... EasyStreet, mentioned that the taillights might not be visible with the basket. So since it was dark, here's a pic of the taillights for everyone.

Attachments

#18 · (Edited)
Hey JG,
Sounds like you have some good ideas. Let us know how it goes.

There is a metal bar underneath the composite rack of the back of the Tourings. Definitely using some of the holes that will go through both the composite rack and the metal bar underneath will work best for securing. The x2 bolts directly behind the seat on the composite rack do this, for example. I used x2 J-bolts with washers on the outsides of the rack going through the composite rack under the rear fender wells. The composite rack on the back of the Touring doesn't support the weight of the basket. So, the bolts that hold the flat rack onto the decking of the Touring are just for placement. The weight of the drop basket is supported through the CNC brackets and the Polaris bumper.

I think the set-up with the Polaris Rear Tube Bumper and brackets is a solid route. We found our Polaris Touring Rear Tube Bumper used on Craigslist for $50 in great condition. I like the bumper because if we would back into something, the bumper will help protect. Plus, we started the Champion ATV basket just behind the Touring rear hand grips on the decking. So, the basket does stick out far enough to have the Polaris rear tube bumper there anyways. Just some thoughts.

My friend who helped me weld and modify this basket does some nice art/sign/fabrication work locally. I help him do some graphic design work for his CNC plasma cutter projects from time to time. I told him we need to get into the ATV accessory business. But, I don't think he's too interested.

We took her out for a ride last night with the tracks and the basket doesn't rattle at all. Seems pretty tight. Overall, I really like the Champion ATV basket. I looked at the drop baskets with a gate, like Kolpin. But, I think the gate would rattle too much and I didn't really want an opening gate anyways. We really like the wrap around designs of the hard plastic rear boxes. But in the end, we needed a basket for the chainsaw and gas and chain oil and etc.

Glad you are inspired with the posting. You can use these ideas freely and do what you like. Just excited that we got a rear drop basket to work with the Polaris Touring and wanted to share.

#19 ·
This is a hot mod. Love it. Wish I had time to do some fab work I would make some adjustments to my touring as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Thanks for your reply. The mod was a lot of fun to make it happen. We're really enjoying the space of the basket and upper rack, too. Kinda makes it a more expedition looking rig. Finding time to do all the projects is overwhelming. Not enough time in the day to get everything done. I still need to finish the garage! Anyways, I was sick and took 2 days off of work to go in and get this mod welded up. Don't have time to be sick, either.

#21 ·
Nice work on the ORIGINAL mods, looks like you made it very functional. What is the electric wire for that is in the pictures ? Or is that just there for the build ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.