Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just introduced myself last week having bought a 2012 850HO Touring. It was a demo and though it only has 300 miles and about 44 hours on it...they were hard miles and hours. I want to take care of a few little issues with it before it gets brought to my cabin forever.

The first issue is that the touring seat wobbles sideways when you install it. It moves side to side a lot. if you grab the top with your hand and wiggle it there is a lot of play and honestly doesn't seem to stay on very well. I could see the whole seat coming loose on the trail if someone was sitting on the touring seat on certain terrain. It is snapped in all the way but the it just has a huge amount of play.

For those that have this type of seat on a 550 or an 850, how much does your seat wobble? I'm trying to figure out which part is worn and needs replacing.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
There is a way to tighten it up. I don't remember where but mine was the same and I was able to fix the issue in just a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
ill take a look at my 850 tonight

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hi all, I just introduced myself last week having bought a 2012 850HO Touring. It was a demo and though it only has 300 miles and about 44 hours on it...they were hard miles and hours. I want to take care of a few little issues with it before it gets brought to my cabin forever.

The first issue is that the touring seat wobbles sideways when you install it. It moves side to side a lot. if you grab the top with your hand and wiggle it there is a lot of play and honestly doesn't seem to stay on very well. I could see the whole seat coming loose on the trail if someone was sitting on the touring seat on certain terrain. It is snapped in all the way but the it just has a huge amount of play.

For those that have this type of seat on a 550 or an 850, how much does your seat wobble? I'm trying to figure out which part is worn and needs replacing.

Thanks
my 2010 always wobbled a lot. I did a cheap easy fix by cutting small strips of that adhesive backed gasket tape, you can use it to seal around windows and used in campers. I placed the foam strips on the inside of the plastic hooks that are on the seat base that hook under the bar for the suspension seat mount. That took most if not all of the play out of the seat. depending upon how much the seat got used I would have to cut new strips over time. I never had the seat come off while trailering or riding. I hope I explained it well enough and didn't confuse! good luck!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good responses all. I will try that foam tape since I have a bunch of it in the garage. Just seems like a bit of a design flaw for it to wobble so much. Glad to know it isn't just my Touring that has the issue.

·
Registered
771 Posts
yep, the downside in having the comfort ride seat is it doesn't attach as well as others. I the older Polaris touring models 2up seats are rock solid, but not as comfortable.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
If someone can take a picture of the area with the seat off and post it I may remember the trick to fixing it.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I fabricated a sleeve that fit over the crossbolt. I'll post photos when I get a chance.

Mark

·
Registered
95 Posts
My wife loves the way the seat moves around and says its very comfy

·
Registered
166 Posts
The passenger seat on ours keeps popping out if there is nobody sitting on it. The latch just won't hold it so I use a bungy cord to keep it on the quad. It completely fell off the quad one day and one of my friends was kind enough to pick it up for me. I have tried adjusting it but the round latch just won't hold.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I guess I'm one of the few that bought a Touring mostly for the extra wheelbase... I pulled the seat off a short time after buying, put a cargo box in its place, seats been sitting in my garage since.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ Possibly, yet if i were to do it again, without the wife wanting a place for her, i would still consider one. nice and stable on some long steep climbs

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess I'm one of the few that bought a Touring mostly for the extra wheelbase... I pulled the seat off a short time after buying, put a cargo box in its place, seats been sitting in my garage since.
We will pretty much always have 2 riding on it plus my state outlawed riding 2 on a single seat ATV.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My fiance rides her 850 touring solo 90% of the time without the passenger seat and loves the extra stability. We use the 2 up functionality when she wants to take non endorsed riders with us: mostly family members or friends who don't want to drive themselves.

When we first got the bike, the seat wobbled. I have since adjusted the mono shock to its hardest setting, adjusted the rear seat height, and those two changes seemed to address all the wobble issues. I find latching the seat in can sometimes be finicky, but I've never had it pop off while she's riding.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I When we first got the bike, the seat wobbled. I have since adjusted the mono shock to its hardest setting, adjusted the rear seat height, and those two changes seemed to address all the wobble issues. I find latching the seat in can sometimes be finicky, but I've never had it pop off while she's riding.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
How do you adjust the rear seat height? I see you can adjust how far forward or back the back rest angles but didn't realize there was a height adjustment too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Details are in the manual, but if you look at the lower part of the back rest, there's a zipper on either side, unzip both, and lift the backrest cushion (and cover) off as a single unit. Once you do that, you'll see four bolts/nuts you can loosen to raise or lower the bracket the cushion rests on. I lowered it to provide more lumbar. There is also a pivot bolt to adjust the fore and aft angle too for how the seat cradles you. I set it leaning forward so that the passenger feels more secure at higher speeds, otherwise the seat in factory position felt like your fall off the back end of the bike lol.

Hope that helps!

Point to clarify, take the two long bolts out (one to adjust seat angle and other that is pivot point) and this gives you access to the four bolts to raise or lower. I couldn't adjust them if I didn't remove those two longer ones first.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The rear seat is rarely on our quad. The extra length is really nice. The best part is that the front doesn't get light on a really steep hill.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Details are in the manual, but if you look at the lower part of the back rest, there's a zipper on either side, unzip both, and lift the backrest cushion (and cover) off as a single unit. Once you do that, you'll see four bolts/nuts you can loosen to raise or lower the bracket the cushion rests on. I lowered it to provide more lumbar. There is also a pivot bolt to adjust the fore and aft angle too for how the seat cradles you. I set it leaning forward so that the passenger feels more secure at higher speeds, otherwise the seat in factory position felt like your fall off the back end of the bike lol.

Hope that helps!

Point to clarify, take the two long bolts out (one to adjust seat angle and other that is pivot point) and this gives you access to the four bolts to raise or lower. I couldn't adjust them if I didn't remove those two longer ones first.
I tried adjusting mine like you mentioned but that didn't help. the play was in the actual seat bottom where it hooks to the comfort ride frame.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts