Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here know if a Sportsman touring seat will fit on a Highlifter model? Seems like it will but not 100% sure. If so, how can I go about getting one as I am not liking many other options for a passenger. Any information is much appreciated!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about just the back seat part, not the driver seat with the "hump"...you know the back and the grab bars? Can that be sold? i can not find anything and not thrilled about getting a large "cargo" seat.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Can’t find anything because legally you can’t ride two up on a single rider model. It’s not like a snowmobile. If you want to ride two up, get a touring.

Reactions: RoyR80

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There should be replacement seats for the touring - surely they make them. You are right but they make plenty of ATV "storage trunks" that are "seats".

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Not designed or intended for a passenger - no one makes a conversion to modify a single operator vehicle into a operator and passenger model - the liability is prohibitive.

Consider your own liability: example (actually happened) a guy and his new wife were honeymooning in another country. He rented an ATV and took her for a sight seeing tour. The ATV designed for a single person and the agency that rented it had him sign a waiver stating the danger of riding a passenger and agreeing to abide by the ATV manufacture's warning not to operate with a passenger. During the tour, the wife fell off the ATV (not at high speed or gnarly terrain and of course she was not wearing a helmet). When she fell off, she struck her head on a solid object (was never determined if it was a rock, log or part of the ATV). She was not severely injured (a little bleeding, but did not require a doctor's services). The returned to their honeymoon cabin and she was exhausted form the days activities so she went to bed early. In the morning she was unresponsive, the husband called for emergency medical services, she was taken to a hospital where she died from a brain bleed as a result of the fall. The husband was devastated, but to add insult to injury, his wife's parents sued him for negligent endangerment resulting in death. He was ordered to pay several million dollars to his late wife's family and of course there was no insurance to cover his poor decision to have his wife ride as a passenger on a vehicle designed for a single person. He had to sell nearly all his possessions and had his wages garnished. He ultimately committed suicide to escape the financial burden.

·
Registered
2019 sportsman 570 2020 sportsman 850
285 Posts
Not designed or intended for a passenger - no one makes a conversion to modify a single operator vehicle into a operator and passenger model - the liability is prohibitive.

Consider your own liability: example (actually happened) a guy and his new wife were honeymooning in another country. He rented an ATV and took her for a sight seeing tour. The ATV designed for a single person and the agency that rented it had him sign a waiver stating the danger of riding a passenger and agreeing to abide by the ATV manufacture's warning not to operate with a passenger. During the tour, the wife fell off the ATV (not at high speed or gnarly terrain and of course she was not wearing a helmet). When she fell off, she struck her head on a solid object (was never determined if it was a rock, log or part of the ATV). She was not severely injured (a little bleeding, but did not require a doctor's services). The returned to their honeymoon cabin and she was exhausted form the days activities so she went to bed early. In the morning she was unresponsive, the husband called for emergency medical services, she was taken to a hospital where she died from a brain bleed as a result of the fall. The husband was devastated, but to add insult to injury, his wife's parents sued him for negligent endangerment resulting in death. He was ordered to pay several million dollars to his late wife's family and of course there was no insurance to cover his poor decision to have his wife ride as a passenger on a vehicle designed for a single person. He had to sell nearly all his possessions and had his wages garnished. He ultimately committed suicide to escape the financial burden.
Sounds like a movie

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Also sounds like an inexperienced operator and passenger without a helmet. If you fall off a machine does it matter if its a "touring " machine? You still fell off. You still hit your head. 🤷‍♂️
You have a point but you still are far more likely to fall off one that’s not designed for a passenger. Stats by far bare that out.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
My brother-in-law just bought a 1 seater, then a rear seat with handles. It’s a Yamaha 700. They don’t make a 2-up. Dealership told him they’d be fine :eek:. I gave my 2 cents to him also, thats my sister on the back now!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts