Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, after reading a lot of posts, I’m convinced that I am having problems with my fuel pump and/or pressure regulator. Let’s see…

ATV: Polaris sportsman 500 EFI touring 2007 with 2.200 km (purchased new in 2009)

Symptoms: the atv always starts well, ride normally until warm and still ok until I turn the key off.

After 5 or 10 minutes stopped, when I turn the key on the engine starts always normally BUT when I open throttle the engine salts/ bogs as if it as no gas getting to the injector. Usually with a full tank does not happen, has happened always with half a tank or less than half tank.

I start with the simple things:

1) Change the fuel filter (efi models)
2) Change the spark plug (the original was good anyway)
3) The vent houses from tank are clear
4) The spark plugs wires are ok
5) Air filter and tubes are clear

And after that, and few search later, I think vapor locking is my problem!!! And the next job was isolate all bottom of fuel tank and the fuel hoses that goes from fuel filter to injector.

Last weekend I went to ride and the same thing happens, with less than ½ tank and after a break it starts to salt and bog. I stopped again, wait 15 minutes and re-start and everything ok as nothing happens before  When the problem appears, if I look inside the fuel tank when motor is on, I see some bubbles and the gas seems to be hot.

So, I assume that I have some problem in the fuel pump or regulator that when they not have gasoline around to cool, they give me bad headaches :ponder:

What do you guys think??

Also the fuel pumps for this model, I read about bosh, airtex ..etc….which is the best for this model?

Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ok, after reading a lot of posts, I’m convinced that I am having problems with my fuel pump and/or pressure regulator. Let’s see…

ATV: Polaris sportsman 500 EFI touring 2007 with 2.200 km (purchased new in 2009)

Symptoms: the atv always starts well, ride normally until warm and still ok until I turn the key off.

After 5 or 10 minutes stopped, when I turn the key on the engine starts always normally BUT when I open throttle the engine salts/ bogs as if it as no gas getting to the injector. Usually with a full tank does not happen, has happened always with half a tank or less than half tank.

And after that, and few search later, I think vapor locking is my problem!!! And the next job was isolate all bottom of fuel tank and the fuel hoses that goes from fuel filter to injector.

Last weekend I went to ride and the same thing happens, with less than ½ tank and after a break it starts to salt and bog. I stopped again, wait 15 minutes and re-start and everything ok as nothing happens before  When the problem appears, if I look inside the fuel tank when motor is on, I see some bubbles and the gas seems to be hot.

So, I assume that I have some problem in the fuel pump or regulator that when they not have gasoline around to cool, they give me bad headaches :ponder:

What do you guys think??

Also the fuel pumps for this model, I read about bosh, airtex ..etc….which is the best for this model?

Thanks in advanced.
A 2007 model you brought new in 2009? Where did they keep that one at for 2 years?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

What do you guys think??

Thanks in advanced.
A 2007 model you brought new in 2009? Where did they keep that one at for 2 years?
At the dealer.....:) here in europe is very common.

·
Registered
214 Posts

What do you guys think??

Thanks in advanced.
At the dealer.....:) here in europe is very common.
:bam:.... well ok then:ponder:

·
11,155 Posts
I think that most agree the Carter pump is best able to stand the heat. Use alcohol free fuel if available. Insulate the tank bottom with heat shield cloth and some guys put header wrap on the exhaust pipe. The biggest issue you are having is the fuel pump overheating when low on fuel. The Carter pump and insulating the tank bottom will pretty much solve that problem. Also, when you stop and shut down for short periods, the heat in the tank builds considerably because of heat off the engine not being dissipated. Let the fan run for a while when you stop and it will help some with that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts