Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My polaris sportsman died a few seconds after winching and now it will not start at all. It just makes a clicking sound when you try to start it. I was in deep snow but idk if that means anything. The lights work, fan, speedo and rear lights.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Charge the battery. Mine would not start one day. charged the battery it fired up ,went for a ride and all good now. Winches can be hard on the charging system.:cowboy:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I killed a weak battery trying to winch someone out. Might just need a charge, but might need a new battery.

Sean

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I just charged my battery full and my winch worked the lights worked speedo worked and the starter just clicks. Got any suggestions what it is. Should i check the battery voltage.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone know what the problem may be? Really need it fixed by wednesday! Thanks

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Try jump starting it. Or, putting 12v directly to the starter.

Sean

·
Registered
326 Posts
Jump start it with your truck/car. I had all my lights on but with the atv turned off for about 20 mins on my kinquad a while ago. Went to start it and all it would do was click, the lights , speedo worked but but wouldnt start. The battery was low and thats why it wouldnt start. Had to jump start it and ran it 30 mins

·
Registered
58 Posts
More than likely the battery. May have enough power for lights but not enough to crank motor. Had same problem. Replaced battery. Get a good one, not from Walmart

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you check the volts on your speedo in the menu somewhere. I thought you just press certain buttons then it opens up? Am i right.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My battery reads at 11.0 Volts... Is this the reason my starter is clicking but the speedo and lights work? Should i get a new battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
help my problem is i shifted to reverse and everything died no power at all battery shows 12 volts but nothing lights up any ideas ???

·
Registered
344 Posts
I would get a new battery ...:veryhappy:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok Thanks. What are good batteries for mine. Im not looking to pay over $100.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Get a good gel battery with the most cranking amps that you can afford. Aside from that.....battery tender, battery tender, battery tender. Did I mention battery tender? I have the original battery in my 10' 550. I plow winch winch winch, lights, auxiliary lights, hand warmers, etc. and my battery is still strong. I might get a new one for piece of mind. When I'm not riding my wheeler it is hooked up to a battery tender. A Battery Tender JR. can be had for about $35.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
AGM battery. I have had good luck with them so far. The AGM in my 2006 lasted till 2013. I think the only reason it died was because my charge system went bad and I let it drain the battery a couple times before I figured out the cause. It did ok after this, until I had to do some heavy winching two days in a row.

If you get a flooded lead acid, plan to change it again in a couple years...

Sean

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Get a good gel battery with the most cranking amps that you can afford. Aside from that.....battery tender, battery tender, battery tender. Did I mention battery tender? I have the original battery in my 10' 550. I plow winch winch winch, lights, auxiliary lights, hand warmers, etc. and my battery is still strong. I might get a new one for piece of mind. When I'm not riding my wheeler it is hooked up to a battery tender. A Battery Tender JR. can be had for about $35.
Yeah ill have to get a battery tender. They are at walmart for $23.
Battery Tender Junior Charger - Walmart.com

Are these good batteries?
NAPA Power Sport - Specialty

NAPA Power Sport - Legend Premium AGM

·
Registered
679 Posts
That 1st one you listed is a lead acid and does not give a CCA rating. The second one has 220CCA, I think that is par with stock. My next battery will be a Odyssey. A bit more spendy, but a battery is something I won't be cheap on. ~$150 but you get 380CCA.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts