Polaris ATV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thank you much! I mean to ask, did you build that rear rack add-on? I really like that addition!
I did not build the rack add-ons the guy is actually on this forum search wv 850 racks.
I actually found the rubbers on Amazon I'm pretty sure the right measurements I didn't check they look exactly the same as one on the four wheeler just a little longer here's the link search that on Amazon they're $20 each
Vestil M-2-12 Rubber Extruded Bumper, 12" Length, 2" Width, 1-3/4" Depth,Black

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did not build the rack add-ons the guy is actually on this forum search wv 850 racks.
I actually found the rubbers on Amazon I'm pretty sure the right measurements I didn't check they look exactly the same as one on the four wheeler just a little longer here's the link search that on Amazon they're $20 each
Vestil M-2-12 Rubber Extruded Bumper, 12" Length, 2" Width, 1-3/4" Depth,Black
I was waiting to purchase those bumpers until I had the measurements. According to the data sheet from the manufacturer, the biggest difference is the bolt hole spacing. On the MV/WV, the holes are 6.75" apart and according to the data sheet for these, they are 6" apart. I'm very tempted to get them anyway and just drill another hole. I have to work out a few other things first before I worry too much about that. I have several parts on order that I will be working on first, plus planning to mount a winch.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I was waiting to purchase those bumpers until I had the measurements. According to the data sheet from the manufacturer, the biggest difference is the bolt hole spacing. On the MV/WV, the holes are 6.75" apart and according to the data sheet for these, they are 6" apart. I'm very tempted to get them anyway and just drill another hole. I have to work out a few other things first before I worry too much about that. I have several parts on order that I will be working on first, plus planning to mount a winch.
I don't know if you notice in the picture I sent you up the winch on the motorside there's a plug so you can put the witch in without worrying about the wires you can just plug it in I eventually am going to make a Which hitch on the back and I'll have a plug back there to plug the Winch in

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't know if you notice in the picture I sent you up the winch on the motorside there's a plug so you can put the witch in without worrying about the wires you can just plug it in I eventually am going to make a Which hitch on the back and I'll have a plug back there to plug the Winch in
I didn't notice that from the picture. On mine the whole winch wiring harness was removed. I think most of it will be fairly easy to recreate. The biggest thing I'm not sure of right now is where to mount the contactor, which is the electronic switch box where the winch power wires hook up.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I didn't notice that from the picture. On mine the whole winch wiring harness was removed. I think most of it will be fairly easy to recreate. The biggest thing I'm not sure of right now is where to mount the contactor, which is the electronic switch box where the winch power wires hook up.
I need to check some fluid levels on the front of my full Wheeler so tomorrow I will take the light bar Box off and look in there I'm pretty sure it gets mounted in there underneath where the battery is.
When I had the light bar Box made I was supposed to be able to open the batteries thing up but me and the guy that came up with it missed one thing And it knows the crap out of me Because I can only open it 4" I'll take a picture and show it to you you can laugh your head off at it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I figured out where the winch contactor was mounted on mine originally. There is a molded pocket area in the front plastic, underneath the rack, on the passenger side. Mine actually still has the rubber flap covering it. To mount the replacement contactor I will need to remove the whole front rack to access that spot. That is slightly annoying but doesn't look like it will be too bad of a job.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I figured out where the winch contactor was mounted on mine originally. There is a molded pocket area in the front plastic, underneath the rack, on the passenger side. Mine actually still has the rubber flap covering it. To mount the replacement contactor I will need to remove the whole front rack to access that spot. That is slightly annoying but doesn't look like it will be too bad of a job.
I still really want to see some pictures There are so few that aren't stock Photos on the Internet

·
Registered
25 Posts
I still really want to see some pictures There are so few that aren't stock Photos on the Internet
Thanks for the prod. I definitely need to post more pics and info. For the time being I'll post this teaser. Some parts that I ordered just showed up today so I hope to get started on a couple of things this week. I did not paint the racks, it came to me that way. Not sure if the previous owner did that or if the mil guys did. I blurred out the ID number under the headlight.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Combat vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks for the prod. I definitely need to post more pics and info. For the time being I'll post this teaser. Some parts that I ordered just showed up today so I hope to get started on a couple of things this week. I did not paint the racks, it came to me that way. Not sure if the previous owner did that or if the mil guys did. I blurred out the ID number under the headlight.
View attachment 170451
Yes those are definitely the wrong wheels!!!
It looks like whoever had it last put WV850 racks And Exoeskeleton and bumper.
I saw a short video on YouTube of somebody that got a military one that was Rusted to pieces And that's what he did.
With how rusty your grill looks I would say it's probably what happened.
Because you can't get the military color Parts Unless you buy Them used on eBay.
I love whats oever the headlights so it's not reflective.!!! I might do that in black on Mine
The seat is different from the civilian version I want that version !!!
All the plastic Looks perfect on the picture are they in person?
Also that shifter knob is really shiny.
If you want pictures of anything in the service manual just let me know I have Only used it for disassembling the clutche and reassembling I had the one way bearing go out If it ever starts to creep forwards when you start it up it might be the one way bearing going bad If you stop and it keeps trying to go it's definitely the one way bearing.
Hope you have fun fixing it it's all I do I'm a tractor trailer mechanic The last 4 work days I've been disassembling a cat C15 engine Here's a picture one of the last one that we did
Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
25 Posts
Man that is awesome. I would love to be a diesel mechanic, maybe not professionally, but be that proficient. I got into military vehicles when I bought a M1078 about 8 years ago and I recently converted it to a M1079 that I am turning into a bare bones camper sort of deal. On my MV850 I think the racks are the factory racks as they are actually tan underneath and where the black paint has rubbed off. The frame has some surface rust in a few areas but nothing too terrible. The front rollbar is missing, but maybe I can eventually find one or make one. The anti-reflective stuff on the headlights is pretty interesting and is over the tail light too. It's actually just a stick on material and I would love to find it to redo the high beam headlight. It's a fine mesh pattern. The plastics are indeed in great condition. The front was fading and chalky, but I cleaned that up with a wire brush and Goof Off, and now it looks like the rest. Thank you for the tip on the one way bearing too, I will have to keep that in mind. Mine sometimes is tough to shift out of H and I don't know if that is something like the one way bearing, the belt is dragging slightly on a sheave, or maybe it's just typical Polaris. I have a 2013 Bobcat 3400XL (made by Polaris) and hard shifting was one of the big complaints with the diesel UTV's. That machine has needed a lot of work because it was an abused rental unit, so I am familiar with rebuilding Polaris suspension! At least on this MV850 the control arm bushings are already fitted with grease fittings.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Man that is awesome. I would love to be a diesel mechanic, maybe not professionally, but be that proficient. I got into military vehicles when I bought a M1078 about 8 years ago and I recently converted it to a M1079 that I am turning into a bare bones camper sort of deal. On my MV850 I think the racks are the factory racks as they are actually tan underneath and where the black paint has rubbed off. The frame has some surface rust in a few areas but nothing too terrible. The front rollbar is missing, but maybe I can eventually find one or make one. The anti-reflective stuff on the headlights is pretty interesting and is over the tail light too. It's actually just a stick on material and I would love to find it to redo the high beam headlight. It's a fine mesh pattern. The plastics are indeed in great condition. The front was fading and chalky, but I cleaned that up with a wire brush and Goof Off, and now it looks like the rest. Thank you for the tip on the one way bearing too, I will have to keep that in mind. Mine sometimes is tough to shift out of H and I don't know if that is something like the one way bearing, the belt is dragging slightly on a sheave, or maybe it's just typical Polaris. I have a 2013 Bobcat 3400XL (made by Polaris) and hard shifting was one of the big complaints with the diesel UTV's. That machine has needed a lot of work because it was an abused rental unit, so I am familiar with rebuilding Polaris suspension! At least on this MV850 the control arm bushings are already fitted with grease fittings.
You can't go telling somebody about your M1078 without showing them a picture it's just not right !!!!!!! My grandfather almost bid on one in an auction Military equipment is awesome
Now you have to put a rack on the back for the MV850 Then it's the ultimate exploring rag!!!
The stuff that's on the headlights and the tail light you can probably get at any sign making company Just get a certain amount Printed out In tan basically It's the same stuff you Can put on a window that you can see through.
If it's hardshifting it's probably the one way bearing going out Mine is so easy to shift Since I replaced it.
Here's a picture of the troubleshooting page And how to inspect the bearing
Believe me you wanna replace it before it goes out or you might run into a car or something

Book Publication Font Paper Paper product

Book Publication Font Material property Art

·
Registered
25 Posts
Speaking of the clutch system, does yours have compression braking when going downhill? Mine seems to be keeping the clutch engaged a bit more than I would expect, but then again the only thing I have to compare it to is my diesel bobcat 3400XL, which has different clutching characteristics. I changed the front diff fluid and got the ADC working correctly, but even without that it doesn't freewheel as much as I might expect.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Let's put it this way with a 1000 pounds of hay in the trailer Going down A rather steep hill yes it has compression breaking It almost slows me down to a stop but then once it's slow enough something releases and it just rolls like neutral.
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

I went over too the steel soldiers forum And created an account.!!!
I did see your M1078/M1079
At the moment our shop has a 5ton in the lot it's so much fun to drive I took my grandmother for a drive-in it
It makes the WV850 look so small
What got me in the military vehicles was m*a*s*h I watched Way To much of it And I wanted an army Jeep so I got the m38 And can't wait to get rid of the yellow And Lime green paint !!!!
I would take the army Jeep any day over a side-by-side It's a 100% more fun.
Now I gotta get That 5 Ton The game commission only paid 10 grand for it
Have you taken the M1078 off routing?

Wheel Tire Sky Automotive tire Plant
Wheel Tire Window Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
25 Posts
I still want an M38 some day. Yours looks great and I like that you have the trailer too! The 5 ton dump looks like it's in great condition! I've only done some light offroading with my truck, mainly just driving around the field here. My long term goal is to do a bit of overlanding with it. Nothing too extreme due to the size, but be able to go explore parts of the US and camp off the grid. Now that you are on Steel Soldiers maybe you can find a local event/rally to check out. I go to one every year and it's a blast.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I still want an M38 some day. Yours looks great and I like that you have the trailer too! The 5 ton dump looks like it's in great condition! I've only done some light offroading with my truck, mainly just driving around the field here. My long term goal is to do a bit of overlanding with it. Nothing too extreme due to the size, but be able to go explore parts of the US and camp off the grid. Now that you are on Steel Soldiers maybe you can find a local event/rally to check out. I go to one every year and it's a blast.
The M38 has a nickname of the submarine Jeep.
It was entirely waterproof so we could go underwater I don't know how the driver's Supposed to breathe but the Jeep would be fine.
It's not actually not the Jeep that I wanted to get but I love it has more power than the MB and GPW.
The M38 has 66 horsepower
Compared to the WV850 which is 77
The Jeep is a 1951 M38 and the trailer is a 1951 M 100.
The M 100 trailer was designed to be pulled behind the M38 and it floats Like a boat The only annoying part about it is it doesn't have a tailgate because of that.
Now all I have to do is get my driver's license in the Jeep once When I'm finished restoring it most of the way Just To Where it's road legal. At the moment I don't have to drive anywhere because I work right across the street from my house at my grandfather's Truck shop.
And going camping in your truck sounds awesome.
Get to where you're going in the truck and take the 4 Wheeler for a spin sounds like fun
I'll have to check out the skill soldier events Thanks for telling me

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have ordered and just received a replacement one way clutch bearing, belt, and new rear axles. Hoping to get that stuff done maybe this coming weekend if I am lucky. Can you post a screenshot of disassembling the clutch? I have partially disassembled the one on my Bobcat UTV so I think it is similar. The Bobcat UTV had a speed limiter bushing that prevented it from achieving the max gear ratio, so I took that out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Alright here you go here's a bunch of pictures
Here is everything to do with the WV850 clutch system you won't need all of it
They did not go on in order so look at the page numbers And buy all the proper tools
I Almost screwed my crank up I use an improper tool to remove the clutch and ruin the threads I was lucky to find the left hand of thread tap And fixed it
Beware of the left handed threads !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope you have a big Torque wrench!!!

Book Font Material property Publication Paper

Book Font Publication Art Paper

Book Publication Font Pattern Paper

Book Publication Font Material property Paper

Book Font Publication Design Paper

Book Publication Font Pattern Paper

Book Publication Font Illustration Pattern

White Book Font Art Publication

Book Font Publication Pattern Illustration