Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 4000lb warren winch and I would like to install it to my 2017 sportsman xp 1000. I looked through the wiring diagram of the warren and there is a red wire (assuming 12V) that is supposed to tap into the 12V on the ignition using those clips with the blades on them. My question is, if I do this and splice into my ignition wire with that red wire, will it void my ATV warranty? I am assuming the only purpose for the red wire on the ignition is to prevent the operation of the winch while the key is not on. My plan was to connect the red wire directly to the positive on the battery terminal instead.

Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hello,

I have a 4000lb warren winch and I would like to install it to my 2017 sportsman xp 1000. I looked through the wiring diagram of the warren and there is a red wire (assuming 12V) that is supposed to tap into the 12V on the ignition using those clips with the blades on them. My question is, if I do this and splice into my ignition wire with that red wire, will it void my ATV warranty? I am assuming the only purpose for the red wire on the ignition is to prevent the operation of the winch while the key is not on. My plan was to connect the red wire directly to the positive on the battery terminal instead.

Thanks
If you are talking about the wire that is supposed to be connected to "keyed" power, then hooking it directly to the battery is a bad idea as that allows operation of the winch even when the key is off. If you have kids or others that might possibly be on or around your ATV, and they hit the rocker switch that operates the winch, bad things happen VERY quickly!!

On my 2017 850SP, there are 2 wires under the front storage compartment, in front of the battery, that are orange/white in color. These are both keyed power. Your spaded connector will fit into one of them, and is the proper way to connect this. Then the winch will only operate when the key is on.

Regarding the warranty . . .i wouldn't think tapping into an ignition wire would void the warranty, but there is no need to do this if you use the wires that are under the front storage compartment.

·
Registered
228 Posts
This machine should already be prewired. You will see the connector for the rocker switch up by left handle bar.
You will have to adapt to factory conector or cut and solder wires together( i hate butt connectors)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts