Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i'm new on this Forum. I have a question for you guys , I have always rode Polaris before ( 425 magnum. 400 sportsman) but now i want to know the pros and cons for the Polaris Sportsman Xp 850 and Bombardier Can Am Outlander XT 800 both 2014. And witch one would you consider the best for me, I live in Ontario, Canada I usally do trail riding so I would say 75 / 25 mud?

I was also looking for tires for my style of riding, i was thinking 28 Zillas ?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The Polaris has the better ride hands down. Both are reliable machines with proper maintenance with more than enough power for anything you could ever want to do with it. The best thing to do is get out and ride them both to see what you like. You are likely going to get a bunch of Polaris answers on the Polaris forum, and can am answers on the canam forums. Just the way it goes.

·
Registered
416 Posts
ride is better on polaris. performance is a mixed bag. can am have faster acceleration but the xp have a better top end.

maintenance is where the real difference is. Look where are the fill plug, zerts, etc are located then look at the can am. The can am zerts are many and located in harder to reach spots than the xp. The G2 frame is somewhat better than the first one but the last two feet going Under the rear dif are two no frills square tubing largely exposed to rocks and elements.
Take also a look at the rear rubber boots on the axles. :eek2:

With that said both machine are great and matches up well.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
its a tough choice, comes down to personal choice in the end
I drive the 850 xp and really like it but the group I ride with ride the can ams to and there is a 800 outtie in the group, I have rode it and it is fast and allot of power but I like the narrow leg position of the xp with the motor in the chassis North and south instead of sideways makes for allot leg and foot room (check it out) and the ride on the xp is smooth, as far as riding fast trails or mud they are neck and neck so, go ride both and let your personal preference decide, can't go wrong with neither
and if you ask the same ? on the can am site you will get, that xp is junk, so make your decision on you riding style

indy

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Go with the 850 Xp and look at the Maxxis Radials 2.0 since you really dont do much mudding....I have them (26 in) on my wifes 550 xp...I have the 30 in. Maxxis Mudzillas on my 850 xp...Cant go wrong with either

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
What Indy said above. Also there is no comparison on the ride ...the stock outy shocks r way, way too soft ...a lot of roll and nose dive on the outy. The engine is a monster and the fit and finish r top notch on the outy. I just got a 850 xp le with the fox shocks Friday and I would have spent another 3k at least on the outy.....actually more because Elka stage 4's would have been mandatory for me on the outy. Both great machines ...ride them both and see what u like better and go with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just got my 2014 850 and love it, I was actually really surprised, I test drove the can am 1000xt a few months back it was a nice bike too but I just liked the xp better. the difference in price helped a lot but Im very happy with the xp. go test drive them both is really the only way to decide for sure

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Also there is no comparison on the ride ...the stock outy shocks r way, way too soft ...a lot of roll and nose dive on the outy.
This is very true. I ride with 3 outty 1000s and they all had to add spring spacers to get a better ride. One guy on the very first time out tried to use the spanner wrench to adjust them up and broke the shock, but that's another story. I ride with 1 XT-P 1000 with the fox podiums and he didn't have the issue.

You're trying to compare two sports cars and they only way to tell which suits you better IMO is to take a test drive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have had a 2012 canam 800xt and a polaris sportsman 500 I liked the power of the canam but a lot of problems dps problems keeps degrading , also this is a important factor for me they don't turn for sh$t , I did a experiment at the staging area before a ride once I took my canam turned it as sharp as I could and did a circle then took my girlfriends grizzly 700 and it did a circle almost inside my circle , then took a buds xp 850 and it was close to grizzly , the can am doesn't turn as sharp as other brands , sold the can am and saving for new xp 850 or grizz 700 ,

·
Registered
454 Posts
There's an ok youtube video that compares these exact bikes...except they are both touring models. The Can Am seems to check a few more boxes but for things that I don't think I would be willing to pay for. For example, the built in air compressor. Would be great but I see it as another thing that's going to break. I like to buy and own generally the better tier of stuff up to a point where the price doesn't equal the extra utility I get from it. In the used market, the XP's are just a far, far better value to me and new as well. For my neighbor that won the 480 Million Dollar Power Ball, he can have the Can AM...I'm ok with the Polaris.

·
Registered
118 Posts
For my neighbor that won the 480 Million Dollar Power Ball, he can have the Can AM...I'm ok with the Polaris.

Wow!! Lucky guy..

Will he have any change left over after a visit to the CanAm dealer? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was in the same boat. I've had a lot of polaris's. The can am was cheaper I added 3 yr warranty made them the same price. I liked the for and finish better on the can am. The ride is better on the polaris. Bit the can am rides good. There's some good deals if you can find a 13 still. Also a good dealer should be your bigger concern. Both machines are fantastic ATVs.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Like already said both machines are great. I personally would try both then look at the cost. Everyone talks about the cost of a Canam just compare apples to apples.If your looking at an XT then add up the cost to have the same options on the XP. After you add a winch and bumpers and such your not far off. You can find non XT models out there that are priced lower. Drive both go with your wallet and your gut. Also dealer is something to look into because warranty on either are only as good as the dealer you deal with. The best part is driving both and figuring it out

·
Registered
454 Posts
For my neighbor that won the 480 Million Dollar Power Ball, he can have the Can AM...I'm ok with the Polaris.

Wow!! Lucky guy..

Will he have any change left over after a visit to the CanAm dealer? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He actually went to the dealer that sells AC sleds, Polaris wheelers and boats about 2 miles away and cleaned house or so the sales guy that served him told me.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Polaris has the BEST 4x4 system. That's why I own a Polaris.
It's funny now many youtube videos bash the Polaris 4x4 system as the odd man out. I'm talking the professional atv reviewers not other manufacturers videos. Then there are other videos that compare the systems side by side in obstacle type courses and the Polaris seems to be the winner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys i think i will wait to try then first but over here still have like 6 feet of snow. it was because the dealership were saying big deal were coming and it was the time to buy but never drove any of them. ill wait for summer and try both and decide witch one. For the dealership i always bought from polaris ( 4 wheeler and sled) already have a good friendship with the owner.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey guys i'm new on this Forum. I have a question for you guys , I have always rode Polaris before ( 425 magnum. 400 sportsman) but now i want to know the pros and cons for the Polaris Sportsman Xp 850 and Bombardier Can Am Outlander XT 800 both 2014. And witch one would you consider the best for me, I live in Ontario, Canada I usally do trail riding so I would say 75 / 25 mud?

Thanks
From an owner of a 2013 850XP and older Polaris Sportsmans....quality is lacking. My recent customer service experience... well Polaris dont really care and wont stand behind their product. This will be my last Polaris...been in shop for month Polaris cant fix stuck throttle code issue.

Try the Can Am for sure

Note: just take a look at the axles on your old Polaris compared to the 2013 (noticeably thinner diameter) ...just ways to cut cost.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts

Thanks
From an owner of a 2013 850XP and older Polaris Sportsmans....quality is lacking. My recent customer service experience... well Polaris dont really care and wont stand behind their product. This will be my last Polaris...been in shop for month Polaris cant fix stuck throttle code issue.

Try the Can Am for sure

Note: just take a look at the axles on your old Polaris compared to the 2013 (noticeably thinner diameter) ...just ways to cut cost.

And if you think Can Am isn't doing the same thing you've lost it buddy...Go over to their site and see how many cracked diffs are not being warrantied. One guy has 5 hrs with stock everything and they are claiming abuse, just go take a quick look. Don't know about you but I would rather have a company that is at least trying to fix your problem than a company that says "rider abuse" and sends you on the way.

I researched Can Am and Polaris for years before I made my decision and the fact that the first thing Can Am tries to do is claim rider abuse is part of the reason I have a Polaris now. It took Can Am 6 months and hundreds of posts before they even tried to do anything about all the 2012 cracked frames. And before they did anything, BRP had the thread closed down by pressuring the owners of the site...And not one bit of this is hear say, everything I'm referring to can be found with some simple searches on can-amforums.com

Do You know what BRP did to people with cracked frames?...Slapped a bolted on brace OVER the cracked frame and gave them a BS 7 year warranty on THAT part of the frame. If the warranty wasn't worth shit in the beginning, why would it be worth anything 7 years down the road?

Do some research before trying to send people away...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts