Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be possible to make 4x4 engage instantly and stay engage until switch on handlebar is switched back to 2x4? Just wondering?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
772 Posts
That would be nice. Most on here love the 4x4 system but I would rather have true 4x4

sent from my android using tapatalk

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
if it was true 4x4 the way you're talkin you would never be able to turn the steering wheelwe put a Detroit Locker in front of a Suzuki 500 when the four-wheel-drive was engaged you could not turn

·
Registered
166 Posts
I believe the AWD engagement is not electrical. It is mechanical so there isn't much you could do to change it. I wish it would stay in 4x4 also.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
No, its mechanical after the armature keys to the roller cage. Why would you want it in 4x4 all the time? ...vs letting it activate 4x4 when it needs it?

·
Super Moderator
7,077 Posts
There is a way to do it, called wedging, but I don't recommend it. System works pretty damn good just the way it is.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Totally agree...its works fine as it is

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
One does, one doesn't

Depends on the year model, I think. My older sporty will lock into 4wd, full time. My '10 will not, only on demand. Why do we suppose Polo did that backtracking?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Depends on the year model, I think. My older sporty will lock into 4wd, full time. My '10 will not, only on demand. Why do we suppose Polo did that backtracking?
Backtracking? I wouldn't call it that. 1 central system to be on-demand versus two systems (system in each front hub) that have to be on/off (more costs to repair and maintain) and does what better exactly over the on-demand system?

To me, on-demand is a lot better then full lock due to lower stress on the components, the ability for it to "happen on the fly" when the going gets rough, and always there when ya need it, yet not there then you don't...thus saving on wear/tear - fuel - and steering ease. ...in short I wouldn't consider it a back track at all.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sportsman 850

Well my dealer bypassed ecm on 4x4 and wired in a switch on a 850 scrambler so when the 4x4 engages and when you let off throttle it does not disengage right away. The guy said it works great and still drives normal. I am going to go and look at what they did to his scrambler and see if he will let me drive it.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I fail to see how they electrically bypassed a mechanical function... When you put the switch to 4x4 power is constantly applied to the diff to keep the roller cage keyed and ready to lock once the rears "spin"/outdrive the fronts. The fronts only revert back to 2x4 mode when they are outdriving the rears.

Until there is solid proof that they've overridden a mechanical function with a magical switch, I call :bsflag:

·
Registered
737 Posts
I agree if it was locked in it would bind bad as the front tires spin slower than the rears when the 4wd is locked on. There was a video on youtube that showed they only made four revolutions in the front to the five revolutions of the rear, hence the 1/5 of a rotation for it to engage.

When you put it in 4wd it sends power to the armature plate the rest is mechanical on how it engages, so even if you applied 12 volt power to the front diff it still wouldn't lock in until the front is over driven (rear tires lose traction)

If you have your owners manual it can expalin it better than I can. If you do figure it out post it up.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's what they said. It still has to spin back tires and once it locks into 4wd it will not disengage until power it shut off to front diff. Once I see this guy's scrambler I will have more info.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The 12 volt power isn't what keeps it engaged that just energizes the armature plate.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
That's what they said. It still has to spin back tires and once it locks into 4wd it will not disengage until power it shut off to front diff. Once I see this guy's scrambler I will have more info.

:aargh4::argue::AR15firing::banghead:

AWD Operation
The AWD switch may be turned on or off while the vehicle is moving, however, AWD will not enable until the engine RPM drops below 3100. Once the AWD is enabled, it remains enabled until the switch is turned off. Engage the AWD switch before getting into conditions where the front wheel drive may be needed. If the rear wheels are spinning, release the throttle before switching to AWD.

With the AWD switch off, the vehicle drives through the rear wheels only (2 wheel drive). When the AWD is enabled, the front drive acts as an on-demand AWD system. This means, the front drive will engage once the rear wheels have lost traction, and will remain engaged until the torque requirement goes away (i.e. rear wheels regain traction).

AWD Engagement: When the AWD switch is activated, the AWD coil is powered by a 12 Vdc input which creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field attracts an armature plate that is keyed to the roll cage. When the ring gear and roll cage are spinning (vehicle is moving), the energized coil and armature plate will apply drag to the roll cage that indexes the rollers inside the ring gear to an engagement position. While in the engagement position, the front drive will be in an “overrunning” condition (not engaged), until the rear wheels lose traction. Once the rear wheels begin to lose traction, the front drive will engage by coupling the output hubs to the ring gear via the rollers. The front drive will remain engaged until the torque requirement goes away (i.e. rear wheels regain traction).

AWD Disengagement: Once the rear wheels regain traction, the front wheels will return to the “over-running” condition. The vehicle is now back to rear wheel drive until the next loss of rear wheel traction occurs.

CAUTION
Switching to AWD while the rear wheels are spinning may cause severe drive shaft and gearcase damage. Always switch to AWD while the rear wheels have traction or are at rest.

CAUTION
If the rear wheels are spinning, release the throttle before turning the AWD switch on. If AWD is engaged while the wheels are spinning, severe drive shaft and clutch damage could result.

Now, as you can read, there is no magical switch that is going to make this mechanical function the way you're wanting it to. When that switch is set to 4x4, there is always power applied to the AWD coil. THE ONLY time it is not, is when that switch is set to a 4x4 mode and the RPM is above 3100RPM; at that point the ECM WILL NOT allow the ground to occur, thus prevent 100s if not 1000s of dollars of damage to your bike. By some shop with a kid working on a 10+k bike that isn't his and "testing" a magic switch is just going to lead someone to both of the above cautions. Cause he is either overriding the power application (which is useless as you can see above) or he's overriding the ground application (which will allow the owner to go out of parameters - see the two cautions above for what's going to happen).

Please don't get me wrong, I'm ALLLLLL for people doing unique customizations to their bikes, but this is the one area that Polaris has done right and extremely well! You put it 4x4 and you get it when you need it (unless you have dirty fluid or an electrical gremlin somewhere); and when you're outside of parameters for first engagement it will save itself and not engage til your back inside those parameters. Leave well enough alone man; cause if this is ground bypass that the kid is doing, that owner (and yourself if you follow along) will just be coming right back here bitching that;

"I was out plowing today and hit the 4x4 switch and now my front diff is in thousands of piece in my driveway and my front prop shaft is dangling on the ground. What happened? Why is Polaris's bikes crap now? Why won't they warranty this?"

when in reality you overrode a safety feature that was warned TWICE in the service manual, as well as countless times in the owners manual; and yet it still won't do anything to keep the fronts engaged after the requirement is no longer needed.

:cowboy:

Now out in my creative thinking: one thing they may be trying to do as well is override the ADC system (the system used to creep down steep hills) into engaging full time. That may work, but those clutch discs ARE NOT designed to channel 50-70HP through them constantly while driving and could see this having some negative results quickly. That systems purpose is to couple the fronts together and provide 4 wheel engine braking.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I am not sure this is correct. I had a 94 sportsman and it definitely needed the back wheels to spin a bit to engage the 4x4. It is now and as best that I can tell always has been a mechanical function not an electrical one. Even with the hilliards in the individual hubs it still relies on the over spin of the rear wheels to engage it. The electrical part just energizes the armature plate to lock the hubs so that when the front diff is engaged they will drive.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Like Amdforever stated he might be tripping the ADC. Only way that I can see that happening.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts