Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all! I have a newish 2018 Sportsman XP1K with 27" blackwater evos on it and i cannot get the damn thing to wheelie or lift the front end AT ALL, any suggestions? I was thinking of stiffening up the rear suspension so it wont squat as much, maybe will lift the front end then?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Kind of hoping this is an April fool's joke. 30 years as a firefighter, 15 as a medic, I can pretty much tell you, this is one of the fastest ways I can think of to literally break your neck. My 2017 850sp weighs more than 700 lbs. I truly want to do everything I can to make sure I stay on top of it, not it on top of me. Just saying...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'd start by cleaning the clutch sheaves and replacing the belt.... as I'm guessing you've glazed both trying or turning those heavy tires with stock clutching (?). If that doesn't do the trick, it's time for a clutch kit!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would have to agree with MustBeNice, those heavy stiff tires are not doing you what you want. I would also add when you get the new belt wash it in warm soapy water, let it dry before installing it.
Clean the clutch faces with brake cleaner and scotch bright pads. I had blackwaters on my Sportsman 600, best change Ii ever made to that machine was getting rid of those heavy tires, picked up 10MPH on the top end with a tire swap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello MNDS, the sportsman would not wheelie either with the stock tires on, just tire spin-same with the blackwaters. the blackwaters are wayyy better as i can get more traction is mud and in the looser stuff. I dont know if clutching or power would be the problem as im just getting tire spin. Could be a squatting problem or idk

·
Registered
119 Posts
I will say this, My 1000 doesn't seem to make the same power when the weather is cold, my butt dyno tells me its less is the cold weather, combine that with cold road surfaces and hard ground= less wheel lift.
My thought is the fuel mapping for cold weather is too lean on these machines.
About two years ago I had my bike on the dyno and that showed a real lean condition that was tuned out during the warmer temps, but it still seem lean in the colder temps.
I have been debating about putting it back on the dyno, but I really don't want to burn another set of rear tires off again.

Maybe you could wait for warmer temps and see if that makes a difference, let some air out of the rear tires.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hello MNDS, the sportsman would not wheelie either with the stock tires on, just tire spin-same with the blackwaters. the blackwaters are wayyy better as i can get more traction is mud and in the looser stuff. I dont know if clutching or power would be the problem as im just getting tire spin. Could be a squatting problem or idk
Is it loose dirt you are trying to wheelie on? My 1000 will flip right over out of the whole if I’m not carefull. It did when stock as well. Even my wife’s 850 wheelies easily.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Brand new 1000 here, maybe 5hrs on it now. I was sitting to the rear of the seat while on pavement and smashed the throttle. The front end immediately went up to the sky and I had an “ Oh Shit moment” . Lucky for me I hit the brakes and the front came back down. My buddy next to me was like” that’s sweet do it again! I said hell no, are you crazy!? So watch what you wish for....but my guess it’s your heavy tires and a combination of not enough traction.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The OP has two posts on this subject.
On the other post he says he only weighs 130LBS. After seeing that post I would say it's a traction problem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Kind of hoping this is an April fool's joke. 30 years as a firefighter, 15 as a medic, I can pretty much tell you, this is one of the fastest ways I can think of to literally break your neck. My 2017 850sp weighs more than 700 lbs. I truly want to do everything I can to make sure I stay on top of it, not it on top of me. Just saying...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Agreed - i do not understand the fascination with wheelies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2015 1000 here and it won’t wheelie to save its life. Just blows the tires off on all kinds of different ground.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts