Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I new to the forum guys and see that there are some pretty good information going on here.
I have a 2003 Sportsmen 700. I need to rebuild\replace the carb. I can't find any information about what carb this is or where I can locate a carb kit from. I can locate a replacement carb (or they it is) on amazon, but don't think it's a OEM carb.
Any help would be great

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
Carb is a Mikuni BST34 - part number 1253493 @ $570.00

Replacement carb s on Amazon are Chinese counterfeit and may 'fit', but it's up to the purchaser to calibrate it and make it work on the engine it's installed on.

A rebuild kit will not fix it - you can replace parts all day long and if you are not correcting the problem you are not fixing it and just replacing parts is not fixing it unless the parts you are putting in are replacing parts that are damaged or clogged. Usually the clogs go beyond the removable and replaceable parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With that being said can it be changed over to fuel injection and do away with the carb?

·
10,309 Posts
With that being said can it be changed over to fuel injection and do away with the carb?
Most anything CAN be done if you have the money and expertise to do it. But the short answer to your question is... NOPE, not easily.
A thorough cleaning and replacement of severely clogged or damaged parts is most always the answer for carb problems.

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
be a lot cheaper and easier to just pop for that OEM carb!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK just asking. I have just changed a 97 wake boat from carb to injection. It was a deal but not too bad.
So, most are saying replace the carb not rebuild????

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
if you are able to rebuild it and tune it then that would be the best option.

·
10,309 Posts
Unless there is something seriously wrong, you should be able to just clean the carb in about 30 minutes and that's all it would take to fix it. Its just according to how bad it is inside. The only parts you may actually have to replace might be the needle seat o-ring #26 and the float bowl o-ring #19. But you can't know for sure until you take it apart.

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
Always clean and repair ahead of replace and if replacement is the ticket, get quality over price. I will take a used carb and rebuild ahead of replacing with a CPOS that requires complete re-calibration to perform satisfactorily. 'FITS' does not equal 'CORRECT'.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do they make a refresh kit for this carb. I have found where you can order it in pieces but have not found a kit. The bike runs like its not getting enough gas. I have checked the rubber manifold for and creaks and found nothing. I have opened and cleaned the carb with out a kit and it runs but have to have the choke on to get started and when under a load it will backfire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Find and put a kit in it. Not that difficult to do. Keep plugging the info has to be out there. Just did my 95 Polaris so an 03 got to be there. Check ebay. I found my kit at good price free ship.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts