Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I looked for information on this topic and came up short. Now that I have done the conversion myself I figured I would share the process.

This process will be very similar for sportsman 550 xp 850 xp 1000 xp as well as scrambler 850 and 1000.

My machine is a 2019 sportsman 1000 base, I am using stock steel front wheels from a late ish model ranger 1000. Wheel size is 12x6 front and rear. I specifically bought two sets of front rims so I have 4 12x6 rims. I'm not certain what the offset is but they are just a bit wider than the stock XP wheels.

Installing 12" rims on these machine requires the brake calipers to be shaved about 1/4" and with the wheels I'm using also requires 1/4" wheel spacers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me know if the images dont show up.

As you can see in the pictures (hopefully) I'm just using fender washers for the "wheel spacers"

I have only rode the bike with the 12" wheels in my yard so I don't know how much difference they will make in the rocks but it has to be better than the crap stock tires on 14s. I'll have a ride report after this weekend.

By the way I'm using 27x9x12 maxxis 'zilla tires on all 4 corners.

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
I agree that the stock tires are lacking, but why not just get 27x9-14 and use the bigger wheels instead of having to shave the calipers

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want the extra sidewall height. Better ride quality and more rim protection from rocks and root are the main reasons.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ride report time. I did about 50 miles of mountain riding on fairly rocky, rutted, steep trails and I'm very happy with the 12" rims with 27" tires. I ride like I'm still on a 450 MXer and still never had a rock hit a rim. I had the tire pressure at 2.5 psi and they still had great rim protection. I also rode at my local sandy area yesterday. There are lots of whopped out trails and the extra sidewall seemed to help when hammering though the whoops. So I'm very pleased with the results. It's well worth the hassle of grinding down the calipers. I can see why the racers do this. My 850 sportsman will get 12" wheels as soon as I can afford another set of new tires.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Are you looking to sell the 14" wheels?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I'm keeping them as a back up set in case I mangle a tire or rim. Sorry.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks Oweee. By the way I had my tire pressure numbers off. I had them at 3psi and then went up in elevation so I'm thinking it was more like 4-5psi on the first ride( I didn't check on the trail) but after 2 more rides recently I'm liking the 4-5psi (actual pressure)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts