Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I looked for information on this topic and came up short. Now that I have done the conversion myself I figured I would share the process.

This process will be very similar for sportsman 550 xp 850 xp 1000 xp as well as scrambler 850 and 1000.

My machine is a 2019 sportsman 1000 base, I am using stock steel front wheels from a late ish model ranger 1000. Wheel size is 12x6 front and rear. I specifically bought two sets of front rims so I have 4 12x6 rims. I'm not certain what the offset is but they are just a bit wider than the stock XP wheels.

Installing 12" rims on these machine requires the brake calipers to be shaved about 1/4" and with the wheels I'm using also requires 1/4" wheel spacers.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me know if the images dont show up.

As you can see in the pictures (hopefully) I'm just using fender washers for the "wheel spacers"

I have only rode the bike with the 12" wheels in my yard so I don't know how much difference they will make in the rocks but it has to be better than the crap stock tires on 14s. I'll have a ride report after this weekend.

By the way I'm using 27x9x12 maxxis 'zilla tires on all 4 corners.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
I agree that the stock tires are lacking, but why not just get 27x9-14 and use the bigger wheels instead of having to shave the calipers

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want the extra sidewall height. Better ride quality and more rim protection from rocks and root are the main reasons.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ride report time. I did about 50 miles of mountain riding on fairly rocky, rutted, steep trails and I'm very happy with the 12" rims with 27" tires. I ride like I'm still on a 450 MXer and still never had a rock hit a rim. I had the tire pressure at 2.5 psi and they still had great rim protection. I also rode at my local sandy area yesterday. There are lots of whopped out trails and the extra sidewall seemed to help when hammering though the whoops. So I'm very pleased with the results. It's well worth the hassle of grinding down the calipers. I can see why the racers do this. My 850 sportsman will get 12" wheels as soon as I can afford another set of new tires.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Are you looking to sell the 14" wheels?

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I'm keeping them as a back up set in case I mangle a tire or rim. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks Oweee. By the way I had my tire pressure numbers off. I had them at 3psi and then went up in elevation so I'm thinking it was more like 4-5psi on the first ride( I didn't check on the trail) but after 2 more rides recently I'm liking the 4-5psi (actual pressure)

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's called Saddle Mountain. It's in central Washington state. On hyway 243 between Mattawa and Beverly.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You ride there? I'm always on the look out people to ride with. I'm from the tri cities in south east Washington state.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am from vernon bc 2 hours north of Oroville wa.but I'm a dune addict so I have been to most dunes in western United states just got back from coos bay blew my belt on the last day. oops . I have driven by there lots of times. I will be at dumont dune and glamis in Feb. Thanks for invite.
O

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm curious how you blew your belt. Is your 1000 stock? I can't travel as much as I would like yet but maybe I'll see you around. It's hard to miss an xp1000

·
Registered
24 Posts
The belt was my own fault. I come from having 4 different kawi twins in last 15 years I get rid of them before 6000 miles and never had to do a belt ever and very reliable I even ran tracks on my last one. My 1000xp had about 2000 miles on it and I punished it pretty good in the snow before I went to the dunes.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice, I guess I'll keep an eye on my belt. Polaris does have a different part # belt on the 19 1000s. It crosses over with the 15 and up highlighter 1000s. I wonder it its any beefier. What belt did you replace yours with?

The snowmobiles have huge belts compared to the ATVs

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just replace with stock belt. I think if I just do a belt a year I'll be good. Anything that makes this much horsepower is gonna be prone to high heat switch is hard on belts. I plan to get a temperature gauge that reads belt heat like the razors have .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts