Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
8,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the auto store today stocking up on supplies and ran across a can of belt dressing. I'm curious if anyone on here has ever tried this on their CVT belt and what were the results?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Don't Do it. That "dressing" spray shurinks the belts on cars and that can't be good in the pvt

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Agreed, don't do this. The few years i worked at a dealership the guys in the back never used it. It's not a good idea with the cvt

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I worked in a auto parts store for about 23yrs. Belt dressing is about like putting a band-aid on cancer. It don't work. A belt wears down on the sides, gets glazed over and worn out that gives the idea the belt stretched. The belt don't stretch. It wears out.
That's my food for thought.
Thanks

·
8,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that's about how I had it figured. I ran across the stuff and remembered dad using it years ago on stuff and was just curious if anyone had tried it and what,if any, effect it had. The label said "for use on all belts" and "prolongs belt life" so I figured someone had probably tried it if they would admit it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
squeaky belt..

I recently installed an EPI clutch kit and now the belt is squealing very annoyingly..I was thinking belt dressing?..will the squeak go away I wonder?

·
8,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't do it! That was an old thread of mine and the consensus was a resounding ...NO!! to the belt dressing.
If you have a new clutch kit and probably new belt it may be that you just need a few good hard rides to let everything break in good. If it continues to do it or drags/shifts hard then it may indicate other issues such as alignment or deflection problems. In my experience, if all else is set up correctly a new belt will often squeak some for a while till it wears in. This is especially true when the belt is cold or the machine has set for a while.
Unless its excessive, I'd run it a bit and see if it'll quieten down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't do it! That was an old thread of mine and the consensus was a resounding ...NO!! to the belt dressing.
If you have a new clutch kit and probably new belt it may be that you just need a few good hard rides to let everything break in good. If it continues to do it or drags/shifts hard then it may indicate other issues such as alignment or deflection problems. In my experience, if all else is set up correctly a new belt will often squeak some for a while till it wears in. This is especially true when the belt is cold or the machine has set for a while.
Unless its excessive, I'd run it a bit and see if it'll quieten down.
Ok, point well taken. I'll give it a few more run time hours and see how it goes. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts