Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think I need to make mine ride a little stiffer and tires sit straighter when parked . Do I have to jack up the wheel to adjust it and is this a wrench that does it.?
( borrowed wrench, guy said it should be it. lol )
Spanner.jpeg
Spanner.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
5,830 Posts
Just use a pipe wrench, much easier.

See post 11, and 14

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,486 Posts
That is the right tool, but I couldn’t get those adjusters to move with it. Jack up the ATV and use a pipe wrench, it will be much less aggravating. If your front wheels aren’t sitting straight, you may need an alignment. Your owners manual explains how to check and do it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Pipe wrenches dig in and leave marks that rust.. That's a hack way to do it in my opinion. Get and use the right tool for the job. Clean the adjustment sleeve and get any mud or sand off of it. Jack up the 4-wheeler if you want to in order to make it easier to adjust, spray the adjustment sleeve with lubricant or a little oil - try to get some between the sleeve and the shock body. let it sit for a couple of minutes so the oil or lubricant can get to where it needs to go. Now use the tool to rotate the adjustment sleeve. It will be tight and not want to move at first so you have to strong arm it and you may need to try rocking the sleeve a little to get it to break free. My last piece of advise is to wear good heavy gloves in case you slip off the adjustment sleeve as it can be a bloody knuckle buster..

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,486 Posts
Pipe wrenches dig in and leave marks that rust.. That's a hack way to do it in my opinion. Get and use the right tool for the job. Clean the adjustment sleeve and get any mud or sand off of it. Jack up the 4-wheeler if you want to in order to make it easier to adjust, spray the adjustment sleeve with lubricant or a little oil - try to get some between the sleeve and the shock body. let it sit for a couple of minutes so the oil or lubricant can get to where it needs to go. Now use the tool to rotate the adjustment sleeve. It will be tight and not want to move at first so you have to strong arm it and you may need to try rocking the sleeve a little to get it to break free. My last piece of advise is to wear good heavy gloves in case you slip off the adjustment sleeve as it can be a bloody knuckle buster..
Good advice, but if you wrap the adjustment sleeve with an old rag, the pipe wrench won’t mar the surface and it is much easier to turn because it won’t slip as easily. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Not so much of a hack job as a easier way to perform the same task.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Good advice, but if you wrap the adjustment sleeve with an old rag, the pipe wrench won’t mar the surface and it is much easier to turn because it won’t slip as easily. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Not so much of a hack job as a easier way to perform the same task.
Good luck with that I guess.. Pipe wrenches work by digging in and a rag in between the jaws and what you are working on is counter productive.. To each is their own I guess. I was just thinking, I wonder if anyone has tried using a strap wrench. Seems like the rubber belt type or the nylon strap type might work well and leave no marks.

·
Premium Member
5,830 Posts
Nothing a little mud won't cover.

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,486 Posts
Good luck with that I guess.. Pipe wrenches work by digging in and a rag in between the jaws and what you are working on is counter productive.. To each is their own I guess. I was just thinking, I wonder if anyone has tried using a strap wrench. Seems like the rubber belt type or the nylon strap type might work well and leave no marks.
I’ve never had any problems with a rag and pipe wrench and never damaged the adjustment screw. Tried with the wrench that Polaris provides but could only adjust one of the four. Sprayed with lube, let it sit, even used a cheater bar on the wrench to get more leverage. Used the pipe wrench and it literally took 2 minutes to adjust the other three shocks.

Reactions: FPD218

·
Registered
139 Posts
I’ve never had any problems with a rag and pipe wrench and never damaged the adjustment screw. Tried with the wrench that Polaris provides but could only adjust one of the four. Sprayed with lube, let it sit, even used a cheater bar on the wrench to get more leverage. Used the pipe wrench and it literally took 2 minutes to adjust the other three shocks.
The lack of more cut outs in the spring adjustment sleeve for the spanner wrench to lock into makes it a way bigger pain in the backside.. It's hard to find a good position to lock into the sleeve without things in the way to get it to adjust to the next position.

·
Premium Member
5,830 Posts
I have more stone chips on the shock absorber paint than I have pipe wrench marks on the adjusters. And no skinned knuckles. Shows character!

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
1,449 Posts
I did lube mine up before I used the spanner wrench, and it worked pretty well.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
If you want to use a little trick I used to help me determine what my front springs were actually doing when riding, and make adjustments more accurate to achieve proper shock travel. Attach a small cable tie to the shock rod, push it down to the bottom, go for a ride and then check where it is. That will tell you how much travel you are using. It helped me quite a bit when adjusting my weak front springs.

·
Premium Member
5,830 Posts
The rubber bumper slides on the shaft also, all you got to do is pull it from the top down and it'll achieve the same goal

Reactions: MrEd

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
seems like my tires lean a little inward slightly at the top. Will adjusting it make it stand straighter

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
seems like my tires lean a little inward slightly at the top. Will adjusting it make it stand straighter
No, it’s supposed to do that and is good for handling-it’s a good thing.

·
Premium Member
5,830 Posts
Does it have a lift kit on it? Lift kits also do that to the wheels. Look and see if there is a piece of metal added to where the lower front shock absorber mounts to the upper A arm.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts