Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, so I'm trying to change the gear ratio for more low-end power. installed larger tires and i run the machine in low 75% of the time.
For the rear, I can drop a tooth in the front and or go up a few on the rear axle. But what about the front, to keep the same ratio front and rear. Has anyone done this before? does the Xplorer 300 use a different gear ratio front and rear?

any insight appreciated

Brent

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
If you want low end power I think you would be best to trade for a 4 stroke. 2 stroke machines just aren't made for it. However I think if you figure out the gear ratio for the front drive and the rear drive and see what the difference is. Like is the front overdriving the rear or under driving and by what percent. Then make your change to the rear sprockets and get as close to the percentage on the front you may be alright.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
The Xplorer 300 is a chain drive to the front and rear while the 400 is chain on the rear and shaft on the front. The only way to gear down the front is to go to smaller diameter wheels and tires. The front is over driven by the rear so the AWD only engages when the rear wheel start slipping - installing larger tires does not change the gearing unless you changes the outside diameter of the tire. The 300 used 23 front and 24 rear - the 400 used 25" front and rear. You can lower your gearing by going to something smaller than 24 OD - might have to change the wheels (OEM is 12 fr and 10 rr) - maybe change to 10 on the fr and 8 on the rear.

Have fun

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys. My 400 is A 95 and it's chain drive front and rear. I always assumed that the front ratio was the same as the rear. Not under or over. Am I wrong. I noticed the 300 uses a larger rear sprocket. Wich would give me the ratio desired but the front I need to look into the difference in sprocket size.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
OH! damn - I looked up a 2000 400 Xplorer - you mean they made changes from one year to another? I thought they were all the same.

Count the teeth on each sprocket - figure out he ratio on the ratio chart and change the sprockets to lower the ratio the same percentage on each end. NO PROBLEM! Just a little math.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello, so I'm trying to change the gear ratio for more low-end power. installed larger tires and i run the machine in low 75% of the time.
For the rear, I can drop a tooth in the front and or go up a few on the rear axle. But what about the front, to keep the same ratio front and rear. Has anyone done this before? does the Xplorer 300 use a different gear ratio front and rear?

any insight appreciated

Brent

any insight appreciated

Brent
change the setup on the primary and or secondary clutching would be the way I would do it and that ratio would hold true for both the front and rear drive. It is not a big job, though it does require a clutch puller but that is not expensive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello thanks for the replies and information. I'm not sure why I didn't get a notification about any more responses??? But anyway that's awesome info. When to do a little math later and figure out the ratios and there's quite a few options out there for sprockets with the correct splines so we'll see what happens. I'll update when I complete it. Now you were saying that the front end ratio overdrive's the rear I thought they would be the same?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts