Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 13 550 XP that when I take off in high range from about 1 to 8 miles an hour I get a squeal and if I put it in low range it squeals up until about 4 miles an hour and then goes away. Anybody else experienced anything like this and if so what solved your problem? Dr says just drive it and see what happens. I also have a 12 and another 13 all three of them do the same thing some worse than others

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Never any squealing on my 2011 550. In the spring or late fall when there is snow I get a weird humming/whistling almost metallic squeal but I am pretty sure its from the slush building up on the rotors/brakes/wheels because it only happens at those times of year.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One has 300. One has 25 and mine has 50 and about 17 hrs. Almost like belt slipping squeal.
But does not feel like belt is slipping.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Any chance you ran in some areas in high that would have been better in low? I haven't done this myself yet but you might want to pop the clutch cover off and do a visual inspection. As per my signature it looks like I have more hours and miles than any of yours and mine is silent as new.

What is your typical riding like? Mine is mainly fire trails or roads. I don't do anything in mud either.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No mud. mostly just hard pack trails a little sand and any thing under 10 mph is in low and climbing is in low. If belt was glazed wouldn't it keep squealing above those speeds?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
It could, but most I've heard only do it under 10mph as they are trying to overcome getting the machine rolling. My 850 did it stock from the get go with just me an my 11 year old son on it in high gear very faintly till we go rolling. Way worse once I put heavier tires on. Clutched it and no more problem.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It could, but most I've heard only do it under 10mph as they are trying to overcome getting the machine rolling. My 850 did it stock from the get go with just me an my 11 year old son on it in high gear very faintly till we go rolling. Way worse once I put heavier tires on. Clutched it and no more problem.
Did you put in a new belt when you clutched it? or did just the kit do it?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I just did the kit. Only had about 200 miles on it, and was very aware of the issue before so I hadn't glazed anything up yet by being cautious and making sure I didn't slip the belt. All depends on you belt when you open it up.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I would try a new belt on one if them. If it fixes it, figure out what you are doing wrong with the riding style. If not, at least you will know it aintbthe belt and will have a spare.

Sean

·
Registered
155 Posts
No mud. mostly just hard pack trails a little sand and any thing under 10 mph is in low and climbing is in low. If belt was glazed wouldn't it keep squealing above those speeds?
i have the same problem. i took off the cluch cover and it is clearly coming from the clutch or the belt. let me know if and how you fix it. its driving me nuts!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will let you know what I figure out. It drives me nuts to most of my riding is at slower speeds and I constantly hear it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Went back to dealer today we will see what they say this time. I put a hundred miles on this weekend like they wanted it maybe a little louder than it was. Can't wait to hear what they come up with!
(guess what didn't even look at it today!)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yesterday they told me they took my clutch out and apart and are going to shim it. What's that mean?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Primary? probably tightening up the belt clearance. That will help soften engagement and give you better takeoff by the clutch not having to close as far to grab the belt.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well today I got told Polaris says that is a normal noise just ride it. I'll have to see if I can figure out how to work YouTube and get a video of it making this noise to get some more opinions.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Well today I got told Polaris says that is a normal noise just ride it......

Who told you that? It is NOT normal.......you will be needing a belt shortly.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Some more of POPO BS they put out. Been fighting it since 09. They have so many excuses it hurts. Try a new belt and see what it does and I would keep fighting with the dealer.

Ronnie

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well today I got told Polaris says that is a normal noise just ride it......

Who told you that? It is NOT normal.......you will be needing a belt shortly.
service guy at the dealer ship!!! (and manager)They said that all 12 and 13's do it. I guess this is why I have warranty! lol

1 - 20 of 183 Posts