Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone else ever done anything to the steering post bushing to stop it from squeeking i sprayed it with wd40 and it stopped but am thinking of drilling it and tapping it so i can put a couple grease nipples in it. any thoughts

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
Mine had a grease fitting from the factory - a little waterproof high temp grease and it's good from service to service.

·
9,484 Posts
WD40 evaporates and dries after a short while and will make it squeak worse. If you're gonna use a spray on it get a penetrating oil with silicone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine had a grease fitting from the factory - a little waterproof high temp grease and it's good from service to service.
just wondering where is your grease fitting i see a new bushing has a hole in it towards the front of the bike under the headlight is this where your fitting is?

·
9,484 Posts
The older Sportsman like the 96 pictured here had grease zerks on both the top steering bushing #7 and the bottom bushing # 9 But they also had about 20 other grease fittings all over the machine too! Polaris determined years ago that we didn't need all those pesky grease fittings and that the bushings, u-joints and other moving parts should henceforth be "greaseless" "lifetime" parts lol. Trouble with that is a machine running in the dirt, mud and water a lot the "lifetime" is shortened significantly when you don't have lubrication on the moving parts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update was out in shop this morning hole is there but wasn't threaded so i tapped it and installed grease nipple and greased it thanks for all the help

·
Premium Member
7,692 Posts
I did the same works great!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts