Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a system of trails, with county and town roads as connectors, being developed to connect St. Lawrence County to other county trail systems in Northern and Central NY State. It utilizes private and public lands and is open from May 15th to September 15th (Unless otherwise posted).
We road the Central Section, just opened this year, from the Raquette Valley Fish & Game Club (Trailhead Parking) in South Colton, to GT's Diner (Trailhead Parking) at Whippoorwill Corners, 2 miles outside Russell, NY. Total of 39 miles (one-way) and then back. We enjoyed the ride a lot, took us about 5 hours, including lunch at GT's and a 2 mile ride into Russell for gas. We rode hard at times, there are a few rough sections with tight turns and stoney trail base. Lots of miles of woodland trails, dirt, gravel and stone. It includes just over 9 miles of blacktop, town and county roads (posted for ATV use). The trail is well marked and controlled. It traverses NY State Forest Easements, and private lands in the Adirondak Park. Some beautiful country.
For those interested, here is the published map of that system of trails. Additionally, I have a GPX file, that I can share, of that new trail section, described above. Just PM me with email and I'll send it to you.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
St.Lawrence County Multi-use Trail - East Section

Yesterday, three of rode some of the East section trail; Parishville to Helena, NY. 80 miles round trip. North Lawrence is on the trail and there is a great diner there, The Pitstop, where we had lunch. There is a local food mart in Helena that has a great deli, as well. Trails were mostly woodland in county and state forest areas, a little abandoned rail bed, some farm/crop land and about 13 miles of hardtop road. We were about 6 hours making the round trip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am going on this same ride in the morning, but we are going from Helena to Parishville. Can’t wait been 5 years since I have had a atv.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going on this same ride in the morning, but we are going from Helena to Parishville. Can’t wait been 5 years since I have had a atv.
So, what did you think? Brasher end is pretty nice, I thought. Hate to see the trails closed now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It was great, not too crazy about the road riding but it sure was a nice fun day. Then we did the section from the fish & game club to GT’s diner this weekend, that was a really enjoyable and scenic ride. The leaves are just starting to turn, too bad we don’t have a few more weeks to enjoy the fall scenery.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ever ride the Rivergate (railroad bed trails from Philadephia (NY) to Theresa and Redwood? They don't close till end of September. We will be going next week. I guess Indian River Club now owns it.
Do you have any knowlege of the Rutland Trail (railroad bed) from Norwood to Moira? I'm pretty sure some folks ride it. You were on a section of it when riding to PVille.
Here is some recent info on it.

Also LongPond Easment roads/trails do not close in respect to hunting seasons.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah we ride the railroad beds till snow flies, I have rode them since the early 90’s just not much fun when you know it like the back of your hand. Sure enjoyed the days of riding the Brasher State forest for countless hours every week. Hoping to get out to a ride in Malone -Dannamora area soon.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yesterday, our group trailered to Lewis County, NY (Brantingham) and met up with Neil from The Black River Valley Four Wheeler Club for a day of hiding Tug Hill. Great time, ~80 miles and a great lunch. Very impressive trail and road system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Phil, Can you drive an ATV from the Kunoco all the way to the unmaintained part of Picketville road. On the map it looks like you can only go partway down Picketville. I wondered if the town allows it. The map shows snowmobiles can use the whole road. Also I was also wondering if that road use ends September 15th. I have seen hunters use it all the time. I don't want to get in trouble. Any info much appreciated. Thanks, Eric

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Phil, Can you drive an ATV from the Kunoco all the way to the unmaintained part of Picketville road. On the map it looks like you can only go partway down Picketville. I wondered if the town allows it. The map shows snowmobiles can use the whole road. Also I was also wondering if that road use ends September 15th. I have seen hunters use it all the time. I don't want to get in trouble. Any info much appreciated. Thanks, Eric
Not legal. I have ridden it with some locals - they are taking a chance.
Roads marked for ATV use are open all year, Only the county forestation and private land trails are closed. That is the way I understand it.

AND - I believe the county trail coordinator is working on getting the French Hill Rd open to South Colton, for the connection to the trail at game club there. That would make a trail system of about 100 miles in length.

AND APA is fighting the town of Clare about the ATVs on the Tooley Pond Rd. Bunch of BS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts